A question about Troy Bilt 2410 auger gear lubricant

I recently got a Troy Bilt 2410 snowblower. 179cc OHV motor. It is in really good shape. I did a complete maintenance on it before the snow came, even touched up the paint. I have a question about the auger gearbox. It's the box with the little rubber plug on top.
Is there a way to check the lubricant level in the box?
How do you get the old lube out of the box?
What type oil or grease should be used to either replenish or replace what's in there?
Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

All the ones I've seen that gear box is just a worm gear and wheel that's filled with a 00 grease. Usually had a screw on the housing that you could take out and replace with a zerk. But they are technically sealed for life so most likely a polyurea grease in there but no way to know for sure unless troy built will tell you.

It's been a minute since I've had to deal with snow though so might not be 100% accurate anymore.

Either GL4 (yellow metal friendly since wormgear is made out of brass)gearbox oil or NLGI EP 00 grease.....if it is "sealed for life" <----- doesnt have any bolt or zerk......put it apart and install one.....

Last edited:
I recently got a Troy Bilt 2410 snowblower. 179cc OHV motor. It is in really good shape. I did a complete maintenance on it before the snow came, even touched up the paint. I have a question about the auger gearbox. It's the box with the little rubber plug on top.
Is there a way to check the lubricant level in the box?
How do you get the old lube out of the box?
What type oil or grease should be used to either replenish or replace what's in there?
Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
I have the same snow blower, it's 6 years old. A couple of years ago it started leaking from the gear box. I tightened the bolts. That's when I found out there is no gasket, just RTV sealant, it leaked worse :rolleyes:. There is no drain, you "change" the gear oil by by splitting the case and cleaning it and then filling one half of the case with gear oil and RTV seal and bolt the other half of the case on. It's a lot of work to do it. The gear oil that was leaking from mine was golden colored and did not appear thick like a gear oil I'm used to seeing. I got a quart of 00 grease from Tractor Supply for less than $5.50 an have been slowly adding it through the top plug with a small old fashioned grease squirt can till it appears to not take any more. It really doesn't hold much. I'll occasionally attempt to add more. So far the leak appears to have mainly stopped, probably due to the 00 grease being thicker than whatever lube they used at the factory.

Back