A quart low

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

I was just pondering. If you were on a trip and found that you were a quart low on oil and you have been using Amsoil what would you use to top it up? If you were about halfway into your annual OCI would you cut it short?

I would just buy another quart of Amsoil, and motor on. Just did a quick scan of the local phone book, and found two Amsoil dealers listed. If you were to call the Amsoil HQ, they should be able to give you a name or two of local dealers.

Or, how about using good old Delvac-1?

I would pull the extra quart of Amsoil out of my trunk and top it off.

If I were using penzoil, I would pull the extra quart out of my trunk and top it up.

If I were using Mobil 1 I would pull the extra quart out of my trunk and top it up.

You see where I'm going with this. I guess I'm only overly anal about some thing.

Good thing though that Amsoil is compatable with all sysnthetic and non-synthetic (motor) oils. Just find a quart of whatever and top it off. Change your oil at the next scheduled time. My first choice of a replacement oil would probalby be Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
I would pull the extra quart of Amsoil out of my trunk and top it off.

If I were using penzoil, I would pull the extra quart out of my trunk and top it up.

If I were using Mobil 1 I would pull the extra quart out of my trunk and top it up.

You see where I'm going with this. I guess I'm only overly anal about some thing.

smile.gif

There's two of us

Use Mobil 1 and dont' bother shortening the drain interval ....I first asked Amsoil about this about 20 years ago ....Both are PAO based oils and mix extremely well.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

If you use "exotic" oil, and you're going on a trip, it makes sense to carry a quart or two with you... don't want to contaminate the "good" stuff...!

wink.gif

Reminds me of that dumbo magazine writer than had a test BMW that kept eating oil. The knucklehead added some(quarts of)cheap mineral oil in place of the 10w60 synthetic that was required. I'm glad that I don't buy used cars.

There are good OTC synthetics available(even the group3s aren't so bad). Just make sure you use the highest quality oil that you can find and that the bottle hasn't been opened.

Any oil is better than NO oil.

Yup, I buy Amsoil by the gallon & my truck has a sump of 6 quarts. I almost always have a bit extra for top-offs. I have a small leak in a oil line and eventually need to add a bit of oil - the extra 2 quarts left over are always with the truck in the tool box.

Thanks, I ussually do carry an extra quart with me. This was a what if situation I could find myself in one day if I was not carefull.

If the car has less than 120,000 miles on it, and you've been using a "sensible" grade of oil, then you don't have to carry a drop.

From "full" to "add" within 6,000 miles just shouldn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back