A plea from my Electric Company to Conserve Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think not!
I will not revert my standard of living back to another time in the past because of poor planning by corporations and government. That is their problem, let them suffer the consequences once the public starts to get vocal. We have had decades to properly plan new clean zero emission power plants (nuclear) and have done nothing.

Oh well, not my problem. Thermostat at 73 degree's, I'll use my washers, dryers, dishwashers whenever I want. I will not change my lifestyle for anyone making a profit off me and for electric utility poor planning. So they dont have to thank me for my patience as I am not changing anything that I do nor do I care how unstable the system may get.

What I will do, is save more power that anyone with a EV, I drive a gas powered vehicle, so I can live in comfort at home anyway I choose. It's time for EV owners to step up to the plate and cut their household use drastically.
(just wait until 25% of the population owns an EV instead of less than the current 1%)
Dont take my post as angry, I am just pointing out, you can not promote electricity sucking EVs in the USA without having the infrastructure to support them. Yet ask ordinary people to give up living their lifestyle, makes no sense at all.

Due to the extremely cold weather, we are all relying more on our appliances around the house. To protect the stability of the electric system and to continue providing you the safe, reliable service you expect, we're asking customers to conserve energy as much as possible for the next few days.

Here are some ways you can reduce your energy use:​

• Set thermostats to 68 degrees or lower.
  • Turn off non-essential appliances and outdoor lights.
  • Unplug appliances and devices that are not in use.
  • Limit the use of higher power consuming appliances like dishwashers, washers, and dryers.
  • Ensure your HVAC vents are open and not blocked by furniture, etc.
“We are feeling the effects of historically cold temperatures as our customers are running their heating units extra hard trying to keep warm,” said Dominion Energy South Carolina President Keller Kissam. “Our top priority is keeping every one of our customers safe and warm while our team works hard to manage this situation. We are asking customers to voluntarily reduce energy use to help ensure the continued reliable supply of electricity. We thank you in advance for your patience as you enjoy your time with loved ones during this special holiday season.”

Last edited:
Isn't it amazing that their lack of infrastructure improvements over decades is somehow laid at the feet of the consumer/customer? Never their problem.. Isn't it also interesting that they raise rates but NEVER fix their systems.. but hey everyone.. you can't heat your home, but please go out and buy an EV right now! too funny indeed!

Well, your from South Carolina. You must have missed the part where our corrupt, elected, politicians squandered $9+ Billion on a nuclear plant that's been scrapped and will never run, voting to over-ride then governor Sanfords veto of having the government build it instead of contracting it to someone competent, and then handing our once excellent utility to Dominion for a song.

Blame the politicians - but no one does. Most that voted for it are still in the legislature.

Deregulation of electric utilities was a terrible idea. It can take 5 to 10 years to plan and build new generation facilities. In the old days when electric utilities were regulated, they would apply for a "certificate of need". Upon approval, the utility had great assurance that its investment in that unit would receive a fair and adequate percentage rate of return. With deregulation, earnings on any investment depends on the supply and demand for electricity and the operating cost. This makes the entire planning and investment process more risky. Investors avoid risks, so they avoid those investments.

I could write a book on the harm done to our economy by electric industry deregulation. In fact, maybe I will. I am a retired attorney/engineer whose career involved the regulation of public utility companies.

I got one of those form letters too
Frigid weather continues to impact our service territory along with much of the country, resulting in increased energy use as customers stay warm and gather for the holidays. PJM Interconnection, the electric grid operator for the region, is asking that customers take proactive steps to conserve electricity through 10:00 a.m. tomorrow, December 25.

Here are some simple ways you can reduce energy use:

• If health permits, set thermostats at a lower temperature than usual.
  • Turn off non-essential appliances, equipment and electric lights – including holiday lights – that you do not need or are not using.
  • Postpone using major electric household appliances, such as stoves, dishwashers and clothes dryers.
  • Close curtains and blinds to retain warm air inside your home.
I'll set my heat pump to 50f and not charge my electric car...... ok maybe not

I put my water heater in heat pump only mode(no resistance heating)
I am running the dishwasher and will wait until tomorrow to do clothes.

Heat will stay on 69f and its gas heating so not much energy to save there.

Lets make all new housing 100% electric..... cough cough cough /sarcasm.

I average 24kwh/day for the year (seasonally between 400-900 per month) so charging an electric car would easily double my usage.

Well, your from South Carolina. You must have missed the part where our corrupt, elected, politicians squandered $9+ Billion on a nuclear plant that's been scrapped and will never run, voting to over-ride then governor Sanfords veto of having the government build it instead of contracting it to someone competent, and then handing our once excellent utility to Dominion for a song.

Blame the politicians - but no one does. Most that voted for it are still in the legislature.
I know those plants better than you might imagine.
One must fully understand research and understand what took place in Jenkinsville.
The biggest fault of all in building those plants was Westinghouse and Toshbia on the brink of bankruptcy all out of local control but fault lays with a coverup by SCEG which snowballed.
It’s too easy to blame government without knowing the facts. The rate payers wanted the Dominion deal (I had a private resident owned electric utility at the time)
Politics aren’t allowed here so will spare response about our governor

I look at it like this :
There giving you the heads up before there's a major outage. Some people waste alot of Electricity. Porch lights on day and night or on earlier than they need to be. Street lights on earlier than they need to be . Same thing with the parking lights at work . Small Appliances at home that draw current even when not in use . It's just a friendly reminder to conserve energy which we are all guilty of. Plus it saves money on Utilities .

I think not!
I will not revert my standard of living back to another time in the past because of poor planning by corporations and government. That is their problem, let them suffer the consequences once the public starts to get vocal. We have had decades to properly plan new clean zero emission power plants (nuclear) and have done nothing.

Oh well, not my problem. Thermostat at 73 degree's, I'll use my washers, dryers, dishwashers whenever I want. I will not change my lifestyle for anyone making a profit off me and for electric utility poor planning. So they dont have to thank me for my patience as I am not changing anything that I do nor do I care how unstable the system may get.

What I will do, is save more power that anyone with a EV, I drive a gas powered vehicle, so I can live in comfort at home anyway I choose. It's time for EV owners to step up to the plate and cut their household use drastically.
(just wait until 25% of the population owns an EV instead of less than the current 1%)
Dont take my post as angry, I am just pointing out, you can not promote electricity sucking EVs in the USA without having the infrastructure to support them. Yet ask ordinary people to give up living their lifestyle, makes no sense at all.

Due to the extremely cold weather, we are all relying more on our appliances around the house. To protect the stability of the electric system and to continue providing you the safe, reliable service you expect, we're asking customers to conserve energy as much as possible for the next few days.

• Limit the use of higher power consuming appliances like dishwashers, washers, and dryers.
“We are feeling the effects of historically cold temperatures as our customers are running their heating units extra hard trying to keep warm,” said Dominion Energy South Carolina President Keller Kissam. “Our top priority is keeping every one of our customers safe and warm while our team works hard to manage this situation. We are asking customers to voluntarily reduce energy use to help ensure the continued reliable supply of electricity. We thank you in advance for your patience as you enjoy your time with loved ones during this special holiday season.”
Is a car an appliance/device?

Country wide problem

I think not!

It's really your problem when you have a blackout though.

I look at it like this :
There giving you the heads up before there's a major outage. Some people waste alot of Electricity. Porch lights on day and night or on earlier than they need to be. Street lights on earlier than they need to be . Same thing with the parking lights at work . Small Appliances at home that draw current even when not in use . It's just a friendly reminder to conserve energy which we are all guilty of. Plus it saves money on Utilities .
You’re missing the OP’s point: each and every customer PAYS for exactly what they use, plus most utilities charge a connection/service fee just for the “privilege” of paying that company to run itself responsibly and supply what they contracted to do. It’s not the consumer’s fault the electric company is mismanaged! There is a fairly easy way to see how much average demand there is and plan accordingly.

One of the things that really chaps my heinie is when new subdivisions are put up, and because the municipality now has to expand their water/sewer/roads/etc services, rather than charging JUST the new subdivision property owners for their new benefits, EVERYONE including those who may have lived in their houses for 30-50 years now suffer increased rates, even though they do not receive anything new, no benefit to them or their properties! You want new and fancy, you pay for new and fancy.

That new 120+ home subdivision out on the outskirts of town, which will likely be filled with people from outside the current county/municipality and therefore have no skin in the game yet, are now getting brand new utilities that their not-even-yet-neighbors are going to pay for in perpetuity. It’s 💩 IMO, and why I live in the country with a well and septic. I’m good with paying for only what I use.

One of the things that really chaps my heinie is when new subdivisions are put up, and because the municipality now has to expand their water/sewer/roads/etc services, rather than charging JUST the new subdivision property owners for their new benefits, EVERYONE including those who may have lived in their houses for 30-50 years now suffer increased rates, even though they do not receive anything new, no benefit to them or their properties! You want new and fancy, you pay for new and fancy.

Around here they charge "tap fees" for new houses to connect to water and sewer. These are supposed to be used for capital costs.

One poorly run little city around here for years was using the "tap fees" from new construction to lower the water bill rates for all customers. After a few years of that combined with neglect of their infrastructure, they had sewer pipes leaking water in and water pipes leaking water out. One pipe on their system had been leaking for so long it had roots growing into it from vegetation 30 feet away....

I turned off the water heater and dialed down the t-stats to 60 at the beach house. Shut off the extra refrigerator which only holds drinks and ice because it will be colder outside than inside the fridge next few days anyhow its not in a heated space. Left to go to my other place farther inland and warmer. Got Duke power at both places and I try to conserve when ever and where I can. Get two electric bills per month and juice here is no bargain.

Oh well, not my problem.
Isn't it though when the lights/heat goes out? I mean, your problem if you don't have a generator, your neighbors if you have an alternative power source and they don't. I don't really see it as much of a difference for the power company, deal with a little bad press and go back to business as usual in a couple of weeks.

Here at least, new construction would have a higher tax burden then existing construction.

Reactions: 4WD
When lines are extended to serve new customers in areas without existing distribution infrastructure, those new customers needing the extensions are usually charged a capital contribution connection charge. But there is no contribution to expand the central supply facilities. Everyone winds up paying for them.

Here at least, new construction would have a higher tax burden then existing construction.

Taxes aren't supposed to fund water and sewer service. That's supposed to be funded by usage fees and tap fees. The cities I'm familiar with have an "enterprise fund" separate from the "general fund" where water/sewer revenue is collected and water/sewer expenses are paid from. They aren't supposed to commingle the funds. And in the case where a public works employee might do both water/sewer work and buildings/grounds work, they are supposed to record the hours spent on each type of work and their pay comes from the enterprise fund and the general fund in amounts proportional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back