A pizza topping that divides the world

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Ham and bacon, a pizza topping that divides the world per this writer from the BBC.
Few foods divide as dramatically as ham and pineapple pizza. In many parts of the US, UK and Australasia, few pizza menus seem complete without it. In Italy, however, the pairing is widely considered an abomination. It has even led to international disputes between world leaders and diplomatic interventions. Why is it so divisive?

Ham and pineapple on a pizza is the only food I can think of that is at war with itself.

pizza.jpg

This is a pizza I very much regret being afraid to try when I had the opportunity. The reviews are out of this world. I had their margarita pizza and it was so very, very good.

Hawaiian pizza can be delicious, but it depends on who makes it and how.

The local Italian joint makes fantastic Hawaiian pizza. They use white sauce and ham which to me is important. Some places use regular 'red' pizza sauce which changes and overpowers the taste of the ham and especially the pineapple. Some places use bacon (or worse, bacon bits) which is just wrong.

I've found that ham, pineapple and white sauce are the magic components. Try it made like that if you haven't yet and you may like it.

Hawaiian pizza can be delicious, but it depends on who makes it and how.

I don't remember exactly where I found it, but I saw a website for a pizza place in Honolulu that had ham and pineapple pizza. The subtitle was something about "Mainlanders call this a 'Hawaiian'" but on their menu it was called "The Haole".

I love pineapple and I love it on pizza. Though my choice is not with ham and bacon though that’s not a bad combination. My choice and go to is pepperoni, mushroom and pineapple. Pepperoni is a must have for any pizza and I won’t eat pizza without it generally. Pineapple is great on pizza. Don’t know a whole lot of people who like it unfortunately.

If you've eaten the BBQ chicken pizza you have NO RIGHT to attack canadian bacon n' pineapple.
NO RIGHT! it's all guud.

Ham and bacon, a pizza topping that divides the world...........
Nothing wrong with ham and bacon!

Pineapple?

I love pineapple and yogurt, oh and grilled a bit caramelized pineapple is simply delicious. Pineapple upsidedown cake? The bomb!

But on pizza it's simply disgusting and I will tell you why:

Tomato and Pineapple are the largest two acid food clashes in the world. If someone tells me they taste good together, then I simply know this person has no refined taste at all. Worse than some kids even. The flavor and acid profiles just don't pair. At all. Throw some cheese into this aborted vomit pile, oh yeah that's gonna taste good.

Now maybe, some good thin ham, a little olive oil base and grilled pineapple and NOTHING else, probably OK.

Back