A-pillar dents, 2014 Nissan Rogue Select

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter came home from Chicago (to NJ) last week and had the misfortune of multiple rock strikes on her '14 Nissan Rouge. The end result of the damage was a cracked windshield and dented up passenger a-pillar.

Can anyone tell me what is involved in a proper repair to several fairly deep dents in the a-pillar? This is mostly for purposes of getting a fair payout from insurance.

Thank you.

I"m working on getting better but this should give a general idea:

[Linked Image]

Paintless Dent Repair tech may be able to pop those out with a glue puller.

When you get the windshield replaced, be wary of XYG DOT 563 glass from China and make sure the repair shop puts primer on any bare metal cuts from the windshield knife. Try to find a glass shop that is up to date on new tech and uses a string cutter and a 30 minute drive away urethane.

A glue puller will not pull that out, there are a couple of possibilities. There may be access to the inside of the pillar from behind the trim inside the car or when the windshield is out there may be an opening.
If not a weld stud puller should get it out, in either case windshield out is a must for proper refinishing

I've seen many rock strikes but never anything like that. I don't think the usual road debris pebble would do that.

Are you sure her vehicle wasn't vandalized? The insurance company is likely to ask the same question.

Thank you for the feedback so far. Here are a few more pictures.

They don't seem to be going the vandalism route. What I am concerned about is their remote/automated estimating process.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Agree that is not popping out. It is also not consistent with a "rock", likely something metal that came off of or was thrown by a truck.

Agree windshield has to come out.

Likely have to remove much trim and clear the entire roof rail and quarter. Be aware if they use a blending agent the blend line will show after a time. little hard to judge scale but I'd say minimum 2.5 hrs repair plus paint and associated de-trim and access.

Depending on where the inner structure is it could be involved and if so this could get rather involved...

Edit: If you are sending these in, take one with a ruler laying by it.

Last edited:
I originally read the post as if driving through Chicago people were throwing rocks. That damage is crazy from a rock

Just next to the middle scar, is the metal perforated? One pic shows something like a hole but the rest don't.

3 parallel scrapes along with multiple damage on the inboard a-pillar? If that really was a rock then that's one rock from [censored].

Originally Posted by deanm11
My daughter came home from Chicago (to NJ) last week and had the misfortune of multiple rock strikes on her '14 Nissan Rouge.

She was following a dump truck that was losing rocks or what? Man that would scare the carp out of you when that hit but multiple hits? Wow.

There is a small chance the insurance adjuster will declare it structural damage and might want to write off the car or else require an expensive repair requiring cutting out the A pillar entirely and welding in a new one.

I've seen it done with B Pillar damage on a 2004 Ford pickup. The truck was written off.

No perforation in the metal. We are concerned they are going to come back with an estimate under the $500 deductible. And it very well may have been some other airborne object - I inferred rock from speaking with her.

Also, she is pretty sure she would have noticed this sometime before the trip. But regardless, comprehensive coverage would cover the damage if by vandalism.

I don't think you have to worry about the estimate coming in under the deductible amount. The windshield alone is worth more than that.

I'm assuming the pics are with the replacement w/s in place?

That kinda sucks like said, because it will have to come out again if you get this repaired.

If it were mine I'd be tempted to leave it and get some paint over the bare metal spots.

I don't know about a rock !! that looks like three strikes from the business end of a metal instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back