A peak at a 410 sprint car engine.

Had the pleasure of seeing Slamming Sammy, Kinser and the rest of the Outlaws at Flemington Speedway a few times. After years of watching the stocks on that track, the speeds the Outlaws put up was mind blowing. Heading down the front straight, engine absolutely SCREAMING, I literally didn't think that they would make it through turn one! The aero effect of those wings is amazing and the fact that those engines can hold together. I can almost smell the smells and hear the roar of the engines just reminiscing about those days. FYI Flemington Speedway is now a Lowes. The dirt tracks in the northeast have been dying a slow death for many years. Spent almost every summer Saturday night and sometimes Friday nights too at a track with my Dad. Glad I have those memories.

The sideboards are invaluable. When you turn the sideboards in the wind it tries to drive the Left Rear corner of the car in the ground. Note the following example:

EA80BE46-F725-4A04-B2DA-0AE1D50FD710.jpeg

This thread got me thinking about HP per liter and today's various performance street engines.

The 410 cubic inch engine is about 6.7L displacement and at 940HP would be about 140HP per L.

Some literbikes make upwards of 200HP.

My supercharged 3.0L Jag is 127-133HP/L stock (depending on year) and 158 with the mods.

The Focus RS 2.3L is 350HP for 152HP/L

It's interesting that emission controlled cars can match race engine output per L. Interesting times.

And yet, years ago, we were doing incredibly well to achieve 400HP, 80HP/L with our Ford 5L (302) engines wrapped up to 8000+ RPM with the best cast iron 351 heads and hottest flat tappet cams we could tolerate.

Last edited:
This thread got me thinking about HP per liter and today's various performance street engines.

The 410 cubic inch engine is about 6.7L displacement and at 940HP would be about 140HP per L.

Some literbikes make upwards of 200HP.

My supercharged 3.0L Jag is 127-133HP/L stock (depending on year) and 158 with the mods.

The Focus RS 2.3L is 350HP for 152HP/L

It's interesting that emission controlled cars can match race engine output per L. Interesting times.

And yet, years ago, we were doing incredibly well to achieve 400HP, 80HP/L with our Ford 5L (302) engines wrapped up to 8000+ RPM with the best cast iron 351 heads and hottest flat tappet cams we could tolerate.

turbos and blowers sure help....

Back