A peak at a 410 sprint car engine.

All,

I thought I would share a little glimpse into one of our engines we use as part of our R&D. Having a relationship with Sammy Swindell especially now that he is racing part time vs full time is invaluable. With a bore of 4.133 and a stroke of 3.820 you end up with 409.8 cubic inches. The heads are All Pro who dominates the sprint car world. These are 13 degree heads. The injection is built by Tim Engler (former tractor puller). The butterflies are 2.900 each. These engines run on pure methanol at 16:1 compression. These engines will turn between 8500-9500 rpms. Usually closer to the 8500 mark. We use our BAS 5W40 in these engines. On cool nights when qualifying a 20Wxx may not be your friend. some of our customers will run a 10W50 in the heat of the summer. The cam data will be meaningless for comparison as the cam is a 60mm cam with wheel guided lifters (note bushings). The cam weighs a mild 14 pounds. The end result to the valve is a lift of .791 on the intake (2.200) and .775 on the exhaust (1.600). The spring are 750 pounds open. Here are some pictures. I never get tired of looking at these. These make 920 and 940 HP.

David

IMG_1306.JPG
67387832798__03CCA585-7F49-4B4A-8815-C50A5BDA8E48.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1388.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1387.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_1389.JPG
IMG_1391.JPG

Last edited:
The cams in the pictures are various core sizes. These have the 60mm cam core which is on the left. As a point of reference you can easily understand the flex and deflection with the smaller cores. Things that would seem like normal numbers when you look at the cam card would not relate with this combination. Getting the weight out of the valve train helps this thing be happy at 9500. It allows you to also run heavier push rods which is an absolutely good idea.

The ring, the hone, and the oil have to work in harmony to have the best cylinder seal. As many years as Sammy has been racing, he said this is one of the hardest engines he has ever seen to read the plugs on because they are so clean.

Even though we have an extra stage on the pump it still nets 10 hp in ring seal.

I started going to my local dirt track this past summer and I was hooked. The sprint cars were a big draw for the crowd but I actually enjoyed the regular old dirt trackers. Sprint cars are unique in that they don't use normal transmissions and they had to be pushed around the track to get them going. They were obviously more powerful than the normal dirt track cars but they didn't really go any faster simply because of the track dynamics.

I'm looking forward to the start of the 2023 season at Senoia Raceway - the fastest 3/8 mile track in south (haha, I think they all say that).

1672260955525.jpg

I started going to my local dirt track this past summer and I was hooked. The sprint cars were a big draw for the crowd but I actually enjoyed the regular old dirt trackers. Sprint cars are unique in that they don't use normal transmissions and they had to be pushed around the track to get them going. They were obviously more powerful than the normal dirt track cars but they didn't really go any faster simply because of the track dynamics.

I'm looking forward to the start of the 2023 season at Senoia Raceway - the fastest 3/8 mile track in south (haha, I think they all say that).

View attachment 132813

Your tracks down there get butt slick. A sprint car on a short slick track will only use about 1/3 throttle. They should still be nearly 2 seconds a lap quicker.

You also have a big population of 305 sprint cars in your neighborhood. They will be down 350HP over a 410

Last edited:
Those are All Pro heads. They have the sprint car thing covered. Bob Williams owns the company. He has raised the intake ports a country mile. Bob was close with Richard Maskin. I believe Richard helped him with connections when Bob started. The air pretty much drops on the valve.

360’s are still plenty fast. That had to be a blast. Where was that at?

David

Those are All Pro heads. They have the sprint car thing covered. Bob Williams owns the company. He has raised the intake ports a country mile. Bob was close with Richard Maskin. I believe Richard helped him with connections when Bob started. The air pretty much drops on the valve.

360’s are still plenty fast. That had to be a blast. Where was that at?

David
Missed you put the heads in the OP....I drooled my way through too quick.....

South Bend In, and Ascot before it closed down. Drove a midget around in Quebec - laughing like a kid the entire time.

Grew up in the triangle between Chicago, Peoria Il, and Wheatfield indiana.

Grandad had an olds and oliver tractor dealership in the 50-60's, grew up a motorhead.

Last edited:
Back