A nostalgic look at brand loyalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by M Smith:
I recall Kendall's Racing 20W-50 was green? Like Schaeffers is today.

Yep, Kendall's GT-1 was green. Kendall was my brand of choice when I started driving in high school because I worked afternoons in a shop and that was the oil they used. They sponsored a car at the local stock car track and used GT-1 50wt in it and that was the first time I'd seen an oil that wasn't the typical amber color.

This was about the time of the Arab oil embargo and for whatever reason it became harder to find Havoline on the shelves of stores like Western Auto and K-Mart. I was able to convince my dad to switch to Kendall, especially since my boss let me have it at a discount. Not only did I get him to switch from Havoline, but I also got him to try a multi-vis for the first time: Kendall Superb 20w40 (in the white can). This was the oil he used till the day he died.

Way before I was born, my dad worked in the oil fields in Oklahoma for Mobil. After he married my mom, they moved to Oklahoma City where he owned a Mobil FULL SERVICE gas station until WWII. He got his electronic training during WWII and when he returned after the war, he went back to work for Mobil in the oil fields. In 1948 Mobil transfered him to their research lab in Dallas where he would build all the testing equipment the engineers designed. He worked for Mobil for a total of 45 years. Anyway, he always used Mobil 30W until they came out with Mobil Special 10W30 and he used that until they came out with Mobil Super 10W40. My first car was a 1965 VW Karmin Gia and the mechanic that kept it running used Pennzoil 30W. My mom and dad are both gone now, but my dad's 1956 Ford Crown Vic and my mom's 1973 Ford Grand Torino both have Pennzoil 10W30 in them now.

For all you young folks out there, I can remember when you could pick up your date, put gas in the car, eat, and go to the drive-in movie for a grand total of $5.00. As they say, those were the days.

My Dad was a machinist in Aerospace and Automotive.

He first used Mobil when it was Purple in color and then went to Pennzoil. He would always say that if it was good enough for Arnie, it was good enough for his Buicks and Chevys, and stayed with that brand until he discovered Amsoil.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:

For all you young folks out there, I can remember when you could pick up your date, put gas in the car, eat, and go to the drive-in movie for a grand total of $5.00. As they say, those were the days.

How long did you have to work to earn that $5? Five hours? Eight hours? I remember those days, too.

Ken

Ken2: I was lucky. Back in those days I played in a small rock band, and I would earn enough on a Saturday night to last for the rest of the week. Now when my son goes to school every morning he says, hey Dad, got $20. Here's to the 60's
cheers.gif

My dad grew up riding a bike to everywhere, we were not driving until we move to US in the mid 90s. We first uses Castrol Syntex because our friend recommend it and later we switch to Mobil1 because Syntex gets dark easy but M1 doesn't. So it is out of luck that we stay with M1.

I found this forum and realize that the only group 4/5 synthetic off the shelf is M1, so we stay with it.

my dads a mechanic and he uses anything but synthetic which he sees as a waste of money. he says "oil is oil." i believe he uses only castrol gtx now a days.

Have any of you heard of Sinclair Pennsylvania Motor Oil?

I was out to dinner last night and this restaurant had some of those old signs scattered about and one of them said Sinclair on it. I've never heard of them, but I'm also only 33, so some of you "more seasoned" folks might know about it.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Have any of you heard of Sinclair Pennsylvania Motor Oil?

I was out to dinner last night and this restaurant had some of those old signs scattered about and one of them said Sinclair on it. I've never heard of them, but I'm also only 33, so some of you "more seasoned" folks might know about it.
tongue.gif

The 19th post down I hit on Sinclair.
I would enjoy seeing some engine oil analysis from pre 1972 .In particular some Nissan /Toyota vs the Cadillac big ci motors that ran for 3-500k miles when upkept properly

My dad changed oil in all the Hinkley vehicles once every two years wether they needed it or not!! AND... when he did do it, he did it with PENNZOIL!!
shocked.gif
NEW FILTER you say??? You change the filter after every 2nd oil change!!
shocked.gif

Dads gone know and I miss him dearly but one habbit I didn't inherit from him his was his oil change practices, or lack there of.

Buy the way... did the oil last 25,000 miles back then and the filters, 50,000???
confused.gif

Maybe he knew something I didn't! Maybe he was an AMSOIL user??
grin.gif

HInk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back