A new meaning to "urethane topcoat"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it looks like I've finally got my very own "You'll never believe this..." story.

I was cruising up I-75 late this afternoon and, just after changing lanes, I noticed a cloud of something coming out of the bed of a pick-up truck ahead of me. At first I thought it was grass, like you often see blowing off the back of landscaping trucks. A moment later it became all too obvious that it wasn't lawn clippings. This stuff wasn't just blowing over the car. A few pictures of the results are at the bottom of this post.

Luckily, I got the name of the roofing company, the unit number and their telephone number off of the truck's tailgate. I called them, only to find that they were closed. I finally managed to get ahold of someone who put me through to an answering service, who then hung up on me. I called back, getting put on hold for more than 15 minutes before they must have realized I wasn't going to hang up and go away. I left a message about what had happened and that I needed them to call me back, ASAP. It's been about six hours at this point and I've yet to get a call. I suppose they've got a different idea as to what "ASAP" means.

I took the GTI to a car-wash and they went over it with a power-washer. It got the superficial stuff off. Unfortunately, the car has still got what I believe to be urethane foam stuck on every body panel on the car. I mean every panel, literally! You name a piece of the body, it's got this goop on it...

I'm calling their office in the morning and asking them if they'd like to do this the easy way, or the hard way. The easy way would mean me taking the car to a body shop and having the shop take care of the damage, bringing the bill to the roofing company's office for reimbursement. If they'd prefer the hard way, they can deal with my insurance company's lawyers.

Either way, I'd love to punch the ignorant putz that was driving the pick-up in the face. With a tire iron...

Materialoncarfromroofingtruck07-23-.jpg

Materialoncarfromroofingtruck07--1.jpg

Materialoncarfromroofingtruck07--2.jpg

Materialoncarfromroofingtruck07--3.jpg

Materialoncarfromroofingtruck07--4.jpg

oh, and never document any threats of violence. simply watch a few episodes of the Sopranos before you head over. heh heh heh

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
File a police report and make a claim against their insurance.
+1
thumbsup2.gif
But also call the company.

It could have been human error and the driver was unaware of it.

I just got off the phone with my insurance company. They've already arranged to get the car inspected and have an estimate written. They said to call the roofing company after I get the estimate and give them the opportunity to do the right thing. If they don't want to stand up to their obligation, then they'll get to deal with the less friendly guys at the insurance company.

It hasn't helped the seething anger, though. The car was absolutely immaculate, and now it's got that crud in, and on, everything. Body panels, glass, body seams, lenses, honeycomb grills, etc. I cringe at what may be necessary to get the stuff out of all the places it's gotten to, if they can even get the stuff off. UGH!

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I'm not laughing at your misfortune, by the way.

I know, I really meant I needed a laugh at this point.

I thought about going outside and screaming expletives until I had it out of my system. I don't think it would help my neighbors, though.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Maybe they can buff it out to a fine sheen. It may be a good clear coat.

It's all those crevices, unpainted and textured surfaces, honeycomb grills and the inter-cooler and radiator fins that really have me worried. I can imagine a lot of disassembly to be able to get at a lot of that junk. Not to mention that much of the front of the GTI is unpainted grillwork and that stuff is stuck on, but good.

To give you an example of how bad this stuff is, historic societies will not permit the use of urethane foam. It simply cannot be used as an insulation because it is impossible to remove. This stuff just will not let go...

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
You've just invented a new weapon for taking out vehicles.

The funny thing is that I've seen a TV program that showed this stuff being demonstrated to law enforcement as a means of restraining people. The problem law enforcement had with it? They couldn't keep the stuff from sticking to the officers and their vehicles. There was also a bit of an issue in not being able to get it off of the person they used it on. IIRC, they considered anything it had been used on as a write-off...

The sad part is, if repainted, the refinish paints never equal the factory. The thicker the paint, the more it chips.

one question to ask the insurance adjuster, will this total out my car, and if so will i get a marked title?

I would expect that at trade in time, that you would take a hit on value. Be sure to mention the intercooler and anything else that wont jump out at the adjuster.

Very sorry to see this. I had almost the exact thing happen to me. The insurance company totaled the car. I filed another suit to make up the differance.

How long were you curious as to what the stuff is/was flying off the truck??? (looks like you collected a lot!) You can't be the only car this happened to....so for sure contact the police. They may not do much with murderers or child molesters here, but stuff flying off trucks is death penalty material (I'm only half kidding!) - serious law stuff. (Federecci case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back