A new axe being made by hand in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Thats really cool, but not many are going to pay $420 for an axe, even considering the handmade aspect.

I think that you missed the point.

Very impressive. I make all the handles for all my tools, but seeing him take it from "A" to "Z" was very cool.

By the way, I know why he added the flux to the axe head, but what exactly is flux made from and how does it work?

I know that borax mixed with sand was used by the founder of Remington Arms when he made gun barrels - it removes oxidation on the surface of the ferric metal and allows it to hammer-weld together & fuse smoothly. I bet that's what is here.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Thats really cool, but not many are going to pay $420 for an axe, even considering the handmade aspect.

True, but there are still people who like the hand-forged part; it is a link with the human past. Some of us are just suckers for that. With me, I find the 19th Century of America especially romantic and fall into reverie whenever I hear Gordon Lightfoot sing "A Lesson In Love."

I can see a strong market for a hand forged axe regardless of the price. It's like a good knife, I have no problem spending $100 on one that will be used daily and abused and I wouldn't mind spending more on one that will be admired. There's a lot of people who will gladly spend $4-600 on one that is handmade and will never be used, it's a smaller market but then again the supply is smaller.

There are people that spend $420 on junk that will not be worth anything in 2 years where used or left in the box. I know people who will go out to eat with another couple and spend $420 on food and drink in one evening. I for one would prefer that ax on awaking the next morning.
smile.gif

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder someone said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back