a nasty omen? Leaving nails on someone's car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

maybe Im way off here, but has anyone heard of people putting nails on others' cars as a sign to watch out or that theyre going to vandalize your car?

here's the deal. I live in an apartment complex. It has plenty of parking, and I use 3 spots for my cars. Recently (well, 4-5 months ago now), some people moved into the building, and since then, Ive had 4 different packages, sent by 4 different companies via 4 different services stolen from my front door. Ive had 2 lug nut covers stolen from the wheels on my chevy truck. And, my GF's car door has a big scuff/dent that is the color of the car of one of the resident's vehicle.

The peopel are my age, but they appear to be unemployed, or not do much, definitely not professionals, and they definitely strike me as the bad-a** redneck type. I have always tried to say hello, exchange a few words in the parking lot if I see them, etc. But they have been nothing but rude to myself, as well as my roomate. Once they were drunk and threw cigarette butts at him and made jokes while sitting drunk on their balcony.

OK, so heres the deal. I was away for a week. Ive been back since, and last night the folks went out. A little later, I was out to do a few things, and saw on top of my car, sitting on the sunroof, a very funny type of nail. It looks like a standard 1.5" nail, except that on the shaft of the nail, there are 2 perpendicular wires, of relatively heavy gauge extending out about 1/4 inch on each side. I think Ive seen these before, for roofing maybe, but they look perfect for getting caught in a tread sipe and then puncturing a tire.

Maybe Im thinking too much about it, but these people are obviously bad neighbors. Unfortunately, I was never able to gather proof that they stole my packages (except the correlation that I have had literally hundreds of packages delivered without a single one ever missing before they moved there, and since they were all stolen), or the other stuff, but unfortunately, I wouldnt put it past them to seed the area of the lot where I park, or seed the underneath area of my car with these nails, for the sake of puncturing my tire as a 'funny' joke.

Of course it could have been a friendly neighbor who saw a nail siting there for whatever reason, and sat it on the car so it could be seen and not puncture my tire.

So, I guess what Im asking is, has anyone ever left a sign of sorts that theyre out to get you because you have a nice car or **** them off for whatever reason? Is leaving a nail on a car a sign that theyre going to screw with you or your tires? Im gone a lot, and it just worries me, as I try really hard to keep my cars in top notch condition. Id hate for these yahoos to ruin it.

Thanks for reading my silly post.

JMH

If I was you, there are a few things I would do:

1) Report EVERYTHING to the landlord AND the police. Get every single one of these incidents documented. One of these times they'll leave enough evidence for you to nail 'em.

2) Talk to the various delivery companies and see if it's possible for them to set aside any packages coming to you so they have to be picked up at the depot. It might be a PITA, but at least they won't be stolen.

3) Discuss the issue with the landlord and request that you be moved to another unit, preferably in a building far enough away that they won't bother you. If he won't accomodate that, move at the first opportunity. I'd begin parking in another lot, too.

4) Avoid them as much as humanly possible.

Man, that sucks. When your dealing with people like that, they aren't going to change. Trying to be friendly with them ain't going to work either. You can't trust them, not for one second and never turn your back to them. Hate to say it, but it's probably going to get worse. The nail thing, I don't know what that's suppose to mean. I've lived all over the States, military brat, and haven't heard any type of urban myth or stories about that. I'd be more inclined that some other neighbor saw it and put that nail in a place to let you know that it was probably under your tires or something. You said that you have a girlfriend and a roommate. They may think you two guys are gay, and if they are rednecks, they will hound homosexuals just because they are that way. They must have some sort of income if they are paying rent. Hopefully they are not selling drugs.

I was at Best Buy doing last minute shopping and the salesman asked me my phone # and address out loud and a lady next in line told him that he should not say the info out loud because she could go over to my house and rob me if she wanted. I told her anytime lady, almost all of my neighbors are retired or work at home and let me know what happens when I am not home. Best alarm system that I know.
grin.gif
Guy across the street is retired Post Office so I don't think anyone could get by him.

Apartment life is crappy these days. I'm stuck in an apartment myself until next month when we get into a house. Good luck dealing with apartment "pukes". I'm sorry to say that most of these people are real low-lifes and have little regard for you or your property. Since I've lived in my apartments (5 months) I've seen the mailboxes broken into twice, the black lady below me is a crack smoking prostitute, my son has been asked to buy some pot, an infestation of roaches and mice has begun, drug deals are done in the parking lot, spilled beer and a used condom was found in my stairwell, extra loud jungle-beat rap music is played at night, and guys do burnouts in the parking lot WHILE children are present. Yes, I complained and went to the office.....all for nothing.
I can't wait to get into our house and away from these filthy, rude, "diverse" scumbags.
Merry Christmas.

quote:

Did not see last post. If they are living in the apt and are not on the lease, just contact the landlord and have them either be put on the lease or move out. I'm sure the landlord does not know that extra people are living in the apts that do not belong.

This is a good idea. If the leased tenant is Section 8 for example, the landlord would be mad other people were using the free hot water... or not filing section 8 applications themselves and getting another unit.
rolleyes.gif

As for the packages, try shipping yourself a big pile of dog crap and 'forgetting' to bring it in...see how they like opening that one up.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
As for the packages, try shipping yourself a big pile of dog crap and 'forgetting' to bring it in...see how they like opening that one up.

I was thinking explosives, but Matt's idea is much better. Try to think of the most disgusting thing you can possibly put in a box and have it shipped to your door. Or maybe a Christmas cake that is laced with laxitives? It probably isn't healthy to engage in a covert war on these losers, but...
wink.gif

Thing is, they live with their girlfriends, who pay the rent. I see the one guy's truck parked there for days at a time. comes and goes blairing music.

Ive reported the packages missing to the police, postal inspector, etc. No one seems to care. I like the place, but want to get a house in a year and a half... I just hope it holds out until then, or they move away.

I am going to park in a different lot. No point in taking chances with getting my cars vandalized, which is the easiest thing for these people to do for 'fun'.

JMH

Yes those are nails that are used in air nailers. The wires hold all of the nails together and when they are fired out of the nail gun the wire breaks off. Agree with both of the others, document everything and let the landlord know what is going on. Hopefully they are temporary workers and will move on. Don't confront them, that is what they want. Next time try and take a picture of the nail on the car. If they put on on the paint it will probally cause damage. Then file a claim against the landlord, apt company and they should look into the matter.

Did not see last post. If they are living in the apt and are not on the lease, just contact the landlord and have them either be put on the lease or move out. I'm sure the landlord does not know that extra people are living in the apts that do not belong.

Report everything to Police and Landlord but, in the meantime if you can afford to move do it. It might develope into something worse. These idiots might put the nails in you!

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Think video

**** yea!! Get one of those cheopo cameras from Walmart and hook it up to a VCR, or use a PC camera. That'll teach those schmucks the next time a package is resting on your door step
lol.gif

Ask the Postal Inspector if he/she is interested in running a package-theft sting.
A super-stink-bomb or mace package could be an alternative. Do not place it at YOUR door, keep your involvment veiled, place it at another obvious delivery-point. USPS has free boxes at the office, but I'd keep them out of it and use a generic box addressed to a ficticious person.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back