A mystery for the Ages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to my local Autozone today and just perused some oils looked at specs etc.

And I noticed one thing.
Coastal 20w-50 on the API Startburst is classed as "energy conserving" !!!!

I thought only 30 weights, were generally thin enough to meet that and even some of the thicker 30 weoghts dont ( GC Castrol 0w-30 ).

And the 40 weights dont.
Soooo how is this possible?????

I went to another store and looked for Coastal 20w-50 presumably of another batch (in case of typo) and it also had API "Energy Conserving " listed...

Fred..

[ October 13, 2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

That is truly amazing...just one correction...the latest versions of M1 0W40 ARE energy conserving but there has got to be a WORLD of difference between a synthetic 0W40 and a dino 20W50...would be great to see the spec sheets....be back in a minute...quick search produced a website but no tech data. Maybe our resident data librarian, the Patster, has the data that might give us a clue as to what is going on here.

So, what was the ILSAC rating for this amazing "Energy Conserving" 20W-50 conventional motor oil? (Frankly I'm suspicious whether Coastal has all its ducks in a row.)

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
(Frankly I'm suspicious whether Coastal has all its ducks in a row.)

You mean they may not be playing with a full deck?

Fred
fruit.gif

Oh you must mean German Coastal!! Don't you know they are importing it from Munich micro blender! It is 100% ester based and pumps at -271K!! It is Plum Krazy purple. Secret rumor has it the purple color is due to the esters being made from plum's oils and other plant fats. IT is also a lube for life oil so long as you run a Supertech 2000 filter and change it and top off every 5000 miles.

Rumor has it the Ford GT will be shipping with this as the factory fill.

I recently returned from the Amestice International Convention. We were secretly showed a power point presentation of hords of migrants workers in third world countrys being forced to scrape the waxy fats covering the outside of the plums and the leaves of the plum trees for the fats to make plum esters! Purple tar is now a comodity being traded for life it self. Why so we here at BITOG can have a $.79 all ester based 20W50 that is enrgy conserveing!!!

Sorry I just lost control!!!
pat.gif

quote:

So, what was the ILSAC rating for this amazing "Energy Conserving" 20W-50 conventional motor oil? (Frankly I'm suspicious whether Coastal has all its ducks in a row.)

I agree. I do not think it is possible to make an energy conserving 20W-50 motor oil. I believe that in the past Starbrite (not Coastal) mislabeled either their 15W-40 or 20W-50 API SA or SB motor oil as energy conserving and also said on the label that this oil meets the latest warranty requiremnts for new vheicles.
rolleyes.gif

[ October 13, 2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Oh you must mean German Coastal!!

OMG - Where can I find this amazing stuff!!! Is it located in the back room of Autozone, carefully disguised as regular Coastal but with a small label in the back printed in purple that says Made in Germany with Love?

crashz,

Actually, you can only find it by climbing into the loft at Autozone and they only have it in stock during months with a "z" in the name. The label is fuschia and it says "In Germany Made" on it (they didn't have a good bilinguist on staff at the time). The oil smells like seaweed (hence the name "Coastal") and it is the color of the north Atlantic at latitudes between 40º- 70º North and South. Also, you must be at the Autozone precisely between 8:59 PM and 9PM to get it. If it is not bought and removed from the store immediately after being removed from the pallet, it goes bad and the API doughnut automatically disappears from the label. Hope this clarifies things.

I am not makeing fun of anyone directly!!! I am actualy pokeing fun at all of us especialy those that helped hype the "GC" product!!!! It is supposed to be one oil geek makeing fun of the entire site of fellow oil geeks!!!!!

If anyone is being poked fun at the main "GC" ring leader is Pscholte!!! I am sure he caught the joke!!! It is all in good fun!!!!

...but if we have enough ringleaders, we can have our own circus!

[ October 14, 2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Doug,

I keep trying to tell you that those are NOT tooth marks on my leg!
grin.gif

[ October 14, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back