A Montana man who set trap convicted of homicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Montana man who set a trap for teenage burglars he thought were targeting him was convicted Wednesday of deliberate homicide.Dede Diren, 27, was shot and killed inside Kaarma's garage in Missoula on April 27. During the trial, Kaarma's lawyer argued the killing was justifiable because Kaarma was protecting his home and property.

Prosecutors said Kaarma and Janelle Pflager set a trap that included a video camera in the garage. They also left the door ajar with a purse visible inside.

The couple watched Dede in the garage before Kaarma went out with his gun, prosecutors said.

"The only person who rushed to judgment was the defendant," Deputy County Attorney Karla Painter said in her closing statement. "The only person that was targeted was Mr. Dede. He didn't need to die on April 27. Was he somewhere he shouldn't have been? Yes. Was he considering taking something he shouldn't have? Probably. Did he deserve to die for transgressions?"

What home owner did was very dumb. He was asking / looking for trouble.

Maybe if the guy was breaking into his house..... sure, blast his [censored]. There was no way any jury would have not found this idiot guilty.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Thieves and criminals are a protected class .

Except that the defendant baited the person into the garage. He hid concealed and coaxed the man in and then shot him. That's called hunting and we can do that to deer, but not to people.

If the thief broke into the home, that's different.

The baiting thing is murky at best; if my neighbor's garage is open and I have no business going inside, I don't go inside. IMHO, of course.

I read in several articles online that the defendant made it known that he was going to "catch" someone and that it would make the news. I think that's what really hurt his chances for anything but a "guilty" verdict.

Should have just locked the crook inside the garage.

Police have bait cars. Why not a bait garage, minus the killing of course.

You only shoot someone if you believe that they are about to inflict bodily harm on you or another person.

So IMO the bait and video camera is OK. But then give it to the police and let them deal with it - you can't just shoot the guy.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
you can't just shoot the guy.

If more people did there would be a lot less crime.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Should have just locked the crook inside the garage.

Police have bait cars. Why not a bait garage, minus the killing of course.

Yeah, hindsight is 2020,but obviously he should have handled it differently.

A good question, what if the police were called, and they showed up but ending shooting the burglar and killing him? Police are subject to many liabilities but they are trained how to best '(legally) deal with a situation. Then they (deservedly, to some degree) get some slack if they do screw up. What if the kid tried to fake a stand-off with the arriving cops, for example, then they might have felt justified. I believe what really happened is that the kid tried to surrender to the homeowner and pleaded for him not to shoot, but just making practically any sound can sound threatening, so the homeowner shot.

The police are supposed to be trained on how to draw the perp out into the open from a safe distance *(use a megaphone, for example).

This reminds me of the movie Death Wish with Charles Bronson.

He is walking through a ghetto neighborhood at night with a expensive Nikon camera on his shoulder baiting a thug who will eventually snatch it from him, then he kills the thief.

Does this make it 'legal' since Charles Bronson was a victim of crime ?
In Hollywood movies it is OK to bait and kill someone...... In real life you are facing some serious prison time.

From the homeowners perspective,he was the vic.We need to hear the whole story about the targeting he claims,before we jump to conclusions.
That said.. un-armed trespasser is definitely not a "clean-shoot".Yes,in Florida we have a castle doctorine but,every action taken beyond securing life or property will get you charged with a crime.
This has happened before.
A house was being burglarized repeatedly, the owner set-up a shotgun and string trigger trap.The burglar was killed,the owner charged.
A man was,once again,repeatedly robbing a warehouse .Owner waited with a crossbow in the upper mezzanine.Shot the robber int the buttock(right cheek,i believe)the robber lived,the owner was charged.
Anyone could be driven to the point of killing given enough harassment,pushed just too far.
The burglar shouldn't have been blown away,but he shouldn't have been on the property either.

Between the comments that the guy made about what he would do to the guy and the bait he was way outside the protection of the law. You aren't in fear of your life when you bait and are waiting for the guy to show up.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
you can't just shoot the guy.

If more people did there would be a lot less crime.

Nope the same amount. In your scenario there will be more assault, battery, manslaughter, and murder.

I said in the original thread the homeowner is a criminal. Now is it is official. Ambushing and killing people like game is not justice only intellectually challenged individuals can not distinguish the difference between murder "justice". The pothead owner should not have been so concern about his stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back