A lower-cost shave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Blaze
I use the Quattro Titaniums too. They sure seem to last a very long time.

Not for me, I find I get 7 days out of a blade and then they are done. What I dislike about the Quattros is those wires, it just seems to allow it to collect more hair to clog it up.

I wish I could find a blade I like that lasts a couple of weeks and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but I can't.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

I signed up for this only the $6 plan and got the package yesterday. Find out how good the blades are this week. Even if I get a package every month it saves us .60 over the Gillette's I normally get. If I sign up for the every other month the savings is much greater. Need to start shaving more for work though so need to stop be cheap.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
You might give Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel a try. It's fragrance free/noncomedogenic. Some people (me included) are allergic to some of the fragrance in various soaps/shave creams/gels.

Giving this Aveeno a try. Been using it for the past few days. So far so good. I'm applying it with my hand for now. I was using a badger brush for the past two years, but then I read that using a brush can add to sensitive skin irritation as well. Is this true?

I've never used a brush. I'm afraid it would rip my face up. Try using Shavesecret as a preshave oil with the Aveeno. It makes for a fantastic shave.

Thanks. I'll pick some up next time I'm at wallyworld. It's certainly a lot cheaper than the Art of Shaving pre-shave oil I used before.

I use any bar of soap and twin blade disposable razor to shave 60% of my face while I'm in the shower ...

Then I use an electric razor after my face is dry to shave the goatee area of my face. This combo works great.

I've never used a brush. I'm afraid it would rip my face up. Try using Shavesecret as a preshave oil with the Aveeno. It makes for a fantastic shave.

I've never had problems with a brush, myself, and my skin can be sensitive at times. For my face, I prefer the Schick Quattro Titanium or the old Protector (I bought a bajillion blades for the thing on closeout) and the Mach 3 for my head. I have tried shaving oil instead of shaving soap, and do like it, but you pretty much have to ensure you shave every day without fail and really rinse out the blades. Every little hair seems to stick in there when using oil instead of soap. The blades do seem to last longer using shaving oil, though.

Not sure if it has already been discussed and I missed it, but I think you'd need to look at prep more than the razor.

I went "old school" a couple years ago with a bowl and a brush for shave cream and soaps. I get a nice slick lather that beats even the most expensive stuff out of a can. If I want really slick, I use Proraso pre-shave cream before lathering my face. Even a few days of growth comes right off, where I'd be ripping my face apart just using a gel. If you really want to go all out, soften the beard with a hot shower or hot towel before shaving. I happen to use a 60 year old safety razor, but even with the cheapest disposable, prep will go a long way toward making a good shave.

Try using Shavesecret as a preshave oil with the Aveeno. It makes for a fantastic shave.

Just tried it. It does make for a smoother shave, however, my skin became extremely itchy right after the shave. After about an hour, I had to thoroughly wash my face with a cleanser as I couldn't stand the itch anymore. Not sure what it is in Shave Secret - the only ingredients are menthol and clove. Maybe I'm allergic to clove?

Shave Secret also does not work very well with multi-blade shavers. It gunks them up, but that's pretty much the case with any pre-shave oil, unfortunately.

Back to just plain Aveeno for now.

I've been using a Norelco for anumber of years, ever since the foil over the head of my Braun electric stuck a sliver up and I cut myself. (Leave it to me to cut myself shaving with an electric.) However, the comments here, and the products on the Lee's site, intrigue me. I wear a beard and mustache, neatly trimmed with an electric trimmer, but my cheeks, part of my lower lip, and my neck below the beard all need shearing off periodically.

If I were to get one of these Merkur safety razors and a pack of blades, what sort of soap or cream should I use? Do you have to buy a brush, or can I apply the cream by hand?

I read many raves about various shaving soaps and badger hair brushes. I used such things years ago, but discovered that I liked the convenience of using something out of a tube. I mentioned earlier that I use a product sold by Wal Mart called "Daily Face Wash." It is a generic version of a Neutrogena product. It has enough glycerin in it to provide good lubricity. I just splash hot water on my face then use a bit of the face wash to lather up. I use a Merkur 34C (AKA "HD" or "Heavy Duty"). My favorite blades so far have been the Personna medical prep blades and Derby Extra. There are a number of good razors out there. I prefer the two or three piece designs to the ones with butterfly doors on the head. The butterfly mechanism makes the head significantly thicker and, to me, gets in the way. I have been using my Merkur for 15 years. The blade cap started losing some of its plating at the edges. I emailed the manufacturer and they are sending me a new one at no charge.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Try using Shavesecret as a preshave oil with the Aveeno. It makes for a fantastic shave.

Just tried it. It does make for a smoother shave, however, my skin became extremely itchy right after the shave. After about an hour, I had to thoroughly wash my face with a cleanser as I couldn't stand the itch anymore. Not sure what it is in Shave Secret - the only ingredients are menthol and clove. Maybe I'm allergic to clove?

Shave Secret also does not work very well with multi-blade shavers. It gunks them up, but that's pretty much the case with any pre-shave oil, unfortunately.

Oops, my bad. That's a bummer. Shave secret saved my face, along with the Aveeno Gel. When I first started working and had to shave everyday and was using Barbesol with cheap razors, my face was ripped to shreds.

No problem. It was worth a try. I am still trying to figure out what caused my original allergy. After a year and a half of using the same pre-shave oil, shaving soap, badger brush, and after-shave balm, all of a sudden I developed an allergy that caused itching and redness. I had to stop using all of it as I did not know which one was the culprit.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

did you talk to your doctor about any possible allergies?
also:
-olive oil
-sun flower (cold pressed) oil
-baby oil (non scented)

MMO on your audi doors hinges for the smell :)

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I've been using a Norelco for anumber of years, ever since the foil over the head of my Braun electric stuck a sliver up and I cut myself. (Leave it to me to cut myself shaving with an electric.) However, the comments here, and the products on the Lee's site, intrigue me. I wear a beard and mustache, neatly trimmed with an electric trimmer, but my cheeks, part of my lower lip, and my neck below the beard all need shearing off periodically.

If I were to get one of these Merkur safety razors and a pack of blades, what sort of soap or cream should I use? Do you have to buy a brush, or can I apply the cream by hand?

hand!
brush is a very acquired skill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back