A lower-cost shave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave up and went electric. Had a Braun 8525 for 6 years and when I went to replace the blades this year found they changed them and it beat my face something fierce. Gave it a month to break in and nothing.

Ended up with a Panasonic ES-LA93K and it's the best electric by far. Fast, no irritation, and a very close (baby's butt) shave.

Use the Quattro Titanium. Sometimes I use shaving cream. Sometimes bath soap. Even shaved dry today. (But I shave every day as it grows fast.)

Been using preshave oil and then Gillette Fusion with Proraso ultra sensitive bar soap and badger brush, and it still gives me rash. It got so bad that I had to go to the doctor. He put me on some kind of prescription strength cream with steroids in it to help my skin heal. He also suggested using Aquanil (it's a cleanser) as a lubricant when shaving. It has a consistency of liquid hand soap. My skin has gotten better, but still not 100%. I think I'll have to look into one of those electric shavers and see if that helps avoid skin rash.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Been using preshave oil and then Gillette Fusion with Proraso ultra sensitive bar soap and badger brush, and it still gives me rash. It got so bad that I had to go to the doctor. He put me on some kind of prescription strength cream with steroids in it to help my skin heal. He also suggested using Aquanil (it's a cleanser) as a lubricant when shaving. It has a consistency of liquid hand soap. My skin has gotten better, but still not 100%. I think I'll have to look into one of those electric shavers and see if that helps avoid skin rash.

You might give Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel a try. It's fragrance free/noncomedogenic. Some people (me included) are allergic to some of the fragrance in various soaps/shave creams/gels.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I wonder what MMO would do as a pre shave?

You get that wintergreen aftershave.

Doing some reverse engineering. Looks like Dorco supplies razors to the dollar shave people. So they are probably the cheapest. Still looking and haven't tried them yet. Looks promising...

Originally Posted By: joaks
I have a pretty tough beard and fairly sensitive skin which makes shaving a little problematic. Worse, if I don't shave every morning instead of looking ruggedly handsome I look like I spent the night in a boxcar.

I'm trying to save a little money on shaving supplies. What I had been using is the 5-blade fusion with a standard shaving gel such as Edge. I recently purchased the store-brand (Kroger) 5-blade imitation which SO FAR seems to work okay. I have also tried a straight razor (disaster).

Anyone else have a thick beard/sensitive skin and gets a good shave without the top of the line razor?

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. If you want the absolutely best shave ever, get an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor and use Feather blades in it. For a cream, use Neutrogena shave cream for sensitive skin. This is my shaving "equipment." I do a two-pass shave: first pass with the grain; second pass against the grain.

edwin-jagger-de89l__41565_zoom.jpg

The head on that one looks a lot like the Merkur 34C. For shaving cream I use Wal Mart's brand of antibacterial foaming face wash. I began using it several years ago for acne control, but it has so much glycerin in it that it makes a great shaving cream. I have used nothing else for at least five years. As far as DE blades go, you more or less have to experiment. Feather (which is a Japanese brand) is known to be the sharpest out there and some may find it too unforgiving, or irritating. I have used a number of the favorites from the Badger and Blade web site. I finished a 100-pack of Derby Extra (made in Turkey) blades and liked them pretty well. The Personna medical blades are great. There are MANY out there. I may try Feather on my next cycle. It's funny that my favorite shave is with a razor that was new technology at the turn of the century - the 20TH century, that is.

Thick fast growing beard here...if I need to go somewhere nice int he evening, need to really shave again.

Got a merkur adjustable, and 400 shark blades for about $100 a few years ago.

Have an old enamel mug that I grate a bar of laundry soap, half a bar of olive oil soap, some coconut oil, olive oil, and some tea tree oil...recombine into a solid with some hot water, then use that as a lather mug with a shaving brush.

Usually shave straight after a shower, without suds...one pass with grain, then one against.

Merkur adjustable is NICE! If you look at DE razors on eBay it's amazing how many there are and the broad price range. They still make these as cheap go-to razors in many parts of the world. Amazon has many as well. You can even buy a multitude of vintage and NOS razors from decades ago. The vintage Gillette "Fat Boy"(an adjustable DE razor) still seems to command the kind of prices that Merkur, Edwin Jagger, and Parker razors sell for today. Unlike cartridge razors, blade exposure, blade angle, type of blade, etc. affect shaving comfort and performance. It takes a bit of effort and experimentation, but the result can be that your morning shave is enjoyable rather than a lifelong chore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
I had a fusion. I ditched it after i discovered shick Quattro titanium. I use avenno shaving cream it's $4/can but helps slow the growth of facial hair. I've gone from 2x a week down to 1 with it. Worth the extra cost to me.
I use the Quattro Titaniums too. They sure seem to last a very long time.

Returned to the double edged safety razor a few years ago, wonder now why I ever left. My daily razor is the Lord dbl, edge, horse hair shaving brush, ARKO shave soap, and dbl edged blades from all over the world.

Current major supplier I use

http://shop.bestshave.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back