A lower-cost shave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pretty tough beard and fairly sensitive skin which makes shaving a little problematic. Worse, if I don't shave every morning instead of looking ruggedly handsome I look like I spent the night in a boxcar.

I'm trying to save a little money on shaving supplies. What I had been using is the 5-blade fusion with a standard shaving gel such as Edge. I recently purchased the store-brand (Kroger) 5-blade imitation which SO FAR seems to work okay. I have also tried a straight razor (disaster).

Anyone else have a thick beard/sensitive skin and gets a good shave without the top of the line razor?

I had a fusion. I ditched it after i discovered shick Quattro titanium. I use avenno shaving cream it's $4/can but helps slow the growth of facial hair. I've gone from 2x a week down to 1 with it. Worth the extra cost to me.

I had all sorts of Gillette, regular, Mach3, Fusion...bla bla. I'm in pretty much the same spot as you are. Hard beard, sensitive skin and on top of that I have a lot of face spots (they look like small moles) and my face was red like a lobster after every shaving session.

Over years of trying different combinations of shaving creams and razor blades I found out the best for me works using Wilkinson disposable shaving blades and (don't laugh) Nivea for men double action face wash soap instead of shaving gel and I never look back.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I use an old-style safety razor (was my grandfather's during the war). Those blades are cheap cheap cheap.

+1 I have an old style 1 blade which gives the best shave and the replacement blades are cheap.

I now use the 2 blade Gillete and cheap shaving cream. If you have sensitve skin the more blades the worse it will be. Less blades result in less irritation. Also, do not shave against the grain. Instant irritation. You should also look into a shave brush. They can vary in price but I put a little shaving cream on it then lather it into my wiskers. Take your time and really work it in. it will lift the ingrown hairs and yield a much smoother shave.

I tend to think of myself as having fair skin (I'm almost a redhead, or at least I used to be; will get windburn in less than an hour on a windy day, and sunburnt in half that time) but not with hard stubble--I can manage up to a week between shaves.

I had a bunch of Mach 3's given to me, and use them until I find it ridiculously easy to get razor burn. Shaving cream is nice, but usually I just shave right after a hot shower. I'm guessing a hot towel on the face for a few minutes (might have to repeat) would do wonders for softening up the hair. Wet the skin, and shave. Shaving cream just makes it harder to get a burn. I suspect when I run out of Mach 3 blades I'll try some disposable razors next.

What I don't get is the recommendation to never shave against the grain. I find that critical for getting the most out of a shave (that is, not having to do it so soon). I will go with the grain, getting most of it; then I go against the grain and get the last bit. If I'm not too aggressive then no burns.

I do not look forward to the future though: I've simply stopped shaving for a while...

I have found that hair conditioner put on and left to sit for awhile when in the shower works best. I can shave without a mirror and only slightly cut myself once.

Works the best and cleanest IMO.

But I have recently moved to electric. Do the bulk of the work with the electric, then finish off with any old razor, just with water. It works fine.

I, too, use an old-school double edge safety razor. It's a Merkur 34C. That is supposed to be the classic beginner's safety razor. You can find them a lot cheaper on eBay, but you can't find much better. Blades continue to be made worldwide and they include modern materials and coatings (stainless blades with platinum/teflon/iridium coatings). I buy them 100 at a time. The most expensive outlay was for my recent purchase of Personna medical prep blades. I got them from a medical supply company for $30 (including shipping). 100 blades is a two year supply for me. How many modern cartridge razors are that cheap to use? Learn how to use this type of razor and BBS shaves will be the norm and ingrown hairs and razor burn will be a thing of the past.

+1 for bgallgher's comments. I still use the ol two blade setup (don't buy Gillete but use a store brand)and can get 10 blades at between $3-4.50 at the grocery store. I use a mug with Williams Shaving soap and a bristle shaving brush. I have about a medium beard and can get about 10 shaves out of a blade.So that brings my cost to just over a dollar a month on the average.

I find it interesting that with the high cost of the new 5 blade Gillette stuff that trucks carrying these are now prime hijack targets.

I have used a Gillete Mach3 for over six months now. I shave about three times a week.

Here is the key to using a blade for a long time; After using it...Rinse it well and get it completely DRY. Shake off all the water and dry it with a towel. If you do this. you'll be able to use that same blade for long time.

If you leave it moist....it effects the sharpness of the blade.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
+1 for bgallgher's comments. I still use the ol two blade setup (don't buy Gillete but use a store brand)and can get 10 blades at between $3-4.50 at the grocery store. I use a mug with Williams Shaving soap and a bristle shaving brush. I have about a medium beard and can get about 10 shaves out of a blade.So that brings my cost to just over a dollar a month on the average.

I find it interesting that with the high cost of the new 5 blade Gillette stuff that trucks carrying these are now prime hijack targets.

Agreed! I am bias towards Gilette because I live 5 blocks over from their corporate HQ. Plus it tends to be cheaper then most store brands in my neck of the woods. I agree to use a good but cheap two blade. Quit using the multiblade. Also, badger and blade is a great website with lots of "old school" shaving topics. Worth a read. Lots of good tips.

I use a Braun shaver, most comfortable electric ever.

When I used a blade I never found one I liked better than the 2-blade Gilette Sensor.

Sams club usually has huge packs of Schick Extreme 3 disposable razors. I can get 10 or so shaves out of them if I dry the blades after shaving. That combined with Shave Secret shave oil with any cheap shaving cream saves money and works wonders. You can get it at Walmart for 3 bucks and one bottle will last 6 months if you only use 3 drops.

http://www.shavesecret.com/

Last edited:
I have the same situation - tough, fast-growing beard with sensitive skin. I have found the best set up to be the 5 blade Fusion with Gillete (not Fusion) shaving gel for sensitive skin. I shave daily, so it gets expensive. If the Kroger is working for you, I may give them a try.

My beard is so heavy that I sometimes have to shave twice a day.

I gave up on blades and gels a long time ago, and as much as everyone HATES them, I use a Norelco electric.

As long as I keep up on rotor blade replacement (at least twice a year), I can get a reasonably close, clean shave (with NO cuts as a bonus).

I get razor burn pretty easy, so I shave 3x a week. I use an electric Remington Micro screen with dual blades cost ~$30, and never had a cut of course. I buy replacement blades for $10 every year to year and a half. I have had the razor for about 8 years, before that I had a Braun, but it died.

Works out to about $5.25 a year.

Last edited:
I stopped buying those plastic disposable razors a long time ago due to cost($15 bucks for 4 razors?).

My wife got me a Safety Razor where I can buy the individual blades 5 for $1 or $2 bucks and it gives me a closer shave, and the blades last longer as they are easier to clean. I have about 3x a week and also use the blade to touch up my haircut(i use a trimmer weekly to buzz my head).

The only good disposable razor I ever used was the Mach 3, which I only used because Gillette sent it to me for my birthday lol.

I also use Shaving soap or natural shaving cream (Pacific makes some great products). The Badger and Blade forums are good place to get insight on some good products.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back