A lot of rain in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
They sure are getting a lot of rain in California now, after all of that drought. And a lot of snow in the California mountains. A lot of people lost power in parts of San Francisco.

Yeah, we are going to have some water falling from the sky in So Cal tomorrow and next week too. Last week we had more than 3/4" rain in 2 days and that was more than the whole raining season of last year.

Winter temperature is coming to California too, high in Irvine/Lake Forest is in mid 60's the next 10 days and low drops to mid to high 40's.

It is just the normal drought flood cycle . Nothing to write home about.Life as normal in Calif.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Sierra Nevada mountains are forecasting 4'...

That's four FEET, not inches!

10 inches of snow equal one of rain, so about 4 1/2" of rain in 4 feet of snow

and it's not only flooding but mud slides that are a concern, esp with all the fires they had and the bare hill sides.

Last edited:
3-4 of rain and low 40's? That's about typical for our weather this time of year and in spring.

In the Santa Cruz mountains our 4" rain gauge overflowed this morning, and it's almost full again. This is after at least 12" of rain over the last week.

Currently our power is out, but cable internet is still working with the UPS.

I've seen much worse storms on the east coast, but in California there is always a mini-disaster. After three years of very dry weather and no stressful storms, every tree over a power line or near a road is planning its fall. Dry stream beds have grown over with bushes and small trees to create dams. Storm drains have clogged, or been mistakenly filled in.

I for one can't wait, we sorely need the rain. Hopefully it doesn't cause too many problems though.

May be time to garage the civic and start driving my pickup...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Last week we had more than 3/4" rain in 2 days and that was more than the whole raining season of last year.

WOW! We can get 0.75" in 10 minutes several times a year. 4" - 5" in a day happens here.

80"/year is possible, 60"/year is our average.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Last week we had more than 3/4" rain in 2 days and that was more than the whole raining season of last year.

WOW! We can get 0.75" in 10 minutes several times a year. 4" - 5" in a day happens here.

80"/year is possible, 60"/year is our average.

I live near the coast and our yearly average is 13", last year we got 6" and the year before just a little more than that.

This storm is bringing some rain to my area but not a lot. maybe 1.5" total.

Normally, Northern California has more rain fall than Southern California.

Last 2-3 years we had less than 5-6 light shower days a year in Irvine, it didn't even wet the driveway, total accumulation for the whole season was less than 1".

This morning when I went to work, every intersection was flooded.

All school districts were closed today, the road is sort of empty.

Last edited:
Got 2 inches at my house overnight. It rained really hard about 1:30 am. Normal street flooding in all the areas that usually do because of lousy drainage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back