A look at MiconAir Blue filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be great if you're COPD or a person with chronic asthma but at over $30 dollars a shot the average person doesn't need this even if its as good as they claim.

Last edited:
A filter is one thing but some of us may be missing the point that a cars A/C systems or fresh air system is certainly not "HEPA", I mean....it's in an automobile with clunky clamps on ducting etc. How efficient can the system be in particulate handling and sealing?

Man, how did we all survive over the years before cabin filters.

Originally Posted by Bud

With dirty ducting and less efficient heating / AC.

Cabin filters keep the condenser and heater core clean, as well as all the duct work. They keep the inside of my car from matching the outside during NC pollen season.

If you suffer from allergies, the filters DO help.

Tough guys can feel free to toss the CAF in the trash, but I'm thankful for mine.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Bud

With dirty ducting and less efficient heating / AC.

Cabin filters keep the condenser and heater core clean, as well as all the duct work. They keep the inside of my car from matching the outside during NC pollen season.

If you suffer from allergies, the filters DO help.

Tough guys can feel free to toss the CAF in the trash, but I'm thankful for mine.

I couldn't agree more. It seems that as I age, I've become more sensitive to air quality. I wouldn't buy a vehicle now without HVAC filtering.

I've been eyeing that because my CAF is due for a change in a couple of months, but changing the filter on my 4-series is a royal PITA because of risk of breaking the interior trim piece underneath the glove box.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
...and then you open the door and let all kinds of stuff in and start all over again....

Opening and closing the door for ingress/egress and blasting pine pollen into your eyes and all over your interior for 100 miles a day are not the same thing.

It's funny, my last trip overseas proved the effectiveness of the CAF. Our newest Hilux was easy to keep clean on the inside. It would accumulate dust, but it was easily wiped away. The older one, (without CAF) was impossible to keep clean. It always had a nice coating of dust on everything, and wiping it up was futile. An extreme example in an extreme environment, but they are effective.

If they weren't, they wouldn't catch anything.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
$30 for the cabin filter for my car. If I like it, then I'll take advantage of the FCP euro lifetime guarantee program, to minimize my costs.

They have a Mann Frecious for my car so I may get that from them. I'm also due to buy rotors and pads and fluids so thanks for the reminder about their lifetime warranty!

Intrigued....

Any numbers on this beside price? filtering ability / pressure drop anything.

Between the house in LA being in a high particle count area (1/3 mile from 405/ 10 intersection) ,
- and fire/ wood burning season in the sierras, its an issue for me continuously and worth the small premium.

All I can find on cortecos site was german.

Thanks

UD

Do the 3 numbers shown in the 3 pictures correspond to slow, medium and fast fan speeds?

Also, shouldn't the unit of measure shown be CUBIC feet per minute rather than "ft/min.'?

Originally Posted by Kira
Do the 3 numbers shown in the 3 pictures correspond to slow, medium and fast fan speeds?

Also, shouldn't the unit of measure shown be CUBIC feet per minute rather than "ft/min.'?

Yes, it's low, medium, and high speed, as you can see the fan speed on the control knob, for the corresponding measurement

CFM, is a volumetric flow rate thorugh a duct or pipe (Ft^3/min), so it can be easily calculated for the cross-sectional area of the vent

Last edited:
The flow numbers don't mean much without a control

To make a better comparison, you'd need to run the test with
-no filter installed
-an OE cabin filter
-the MicronAir blue

Then, after a year, or whenever you change the filter, run the test with the used filter
smile.gif

If Bosch makes one of those HEPA cabin filters for this car, run it with one of those, too

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

-no filter installed
-an OE cabin filter
-the MicronAir blue

Then, after a year, or whenever you change the filter, run the test with the used filter
smile.gif

If Bosch makes one of those HEPA cabin filters for this car, run it with one of those, too

It's a start to quantify the complaints I have about the so-called "upgraded" filters that are supposed to be superior.

It takes time to gather data, especially to track flow after mileage.

Since you seem to be openly recommended these filters, why haven't you thought about doing this informal study?

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

-no filter installed
-an OE cabin filter
-the MicronAir blue

smile.gif

It's a start to quantify the complaints I have about the so-called "upgraded" filters that are supposed to be superior.

It takes time to gather data, especially to track flow after mileage.

Since you seem to be openly recommended these filters, why haven't you thought about doing this informal study?

They're not available for my car
cry.gif

Also, I haven't noticed a noticeable reduction in airflow on any cabin filter I've installed, be they carbon/charcoal or not. Supposedly, the HEPA filters do restrict to the point you'd notice, but those are geared towards those with severe allergies. If I had allergies that bad, it would be worth the tradeoff for the HEPA.

The reason I recommend the filters is because I find the carbon to be useful in taking out odors. The mold layer would probably help, too.

The car I have now has a sticker in the door jamb that says to call the dealer if you notice a restriction in airflow and it's not time to change the filter yet. My previous car didn't even have a cabin filter
cry.gif

I was able to find a filter with charcoal, but I had to order it from Europe and it took me almost a month to get it, but I'm glad I did

Regular replacement every year or two is likely more important .

The wind speed meter is cool
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back