A look at Akebono ISD series brake pads from RA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the brakes a while ago on my Nissan Frontier and the pads I’ve been using are super dusty. I’ve been thinking about updating them with something different and ordered these ISD series Akebono pads.

Rock Auto has a bunch of these on closeout. I paid $16 shipped for this set of pads. For the cheap price, I was pleased to see they’re made in the USA and GG rated.

I’ll try to update this after I get them installed.

The ISD series are not available for every application. They’re a step below the Pro-Act in their lineup. The documentation indicates these are a ceramic formulation. The Akebono catalog claims my truck had a ceramic formulation from the factory.

A1-2000%20-%20Copy.jpg

They're just under six years old. I guess that's to be expected with a closeout and it doesn't bother me. I was happy to see they're made in the USA.
A2-2000%20-%20Copy.jpg

They came with shims already installed but they didn't come with any paperwork or abutment clips. I think I replaced the hardware when I replaced the pads not too long ago, so my old stuff should be fine.
A3-2000%20-%20Copy.jpg

I was surprised to see they're GG rated. That's a step up from the OE pads.
A4-2000%20-%20Copy.jpg

Akebono are all organic / ceramic / kevlar pads. They once made a semi-metallic for the Silverado but everything else was the same formula in ProAct pads. Only OEM gets tweaked formulas for performance testing.

Akebono pads are great except for towing or heavy abuse driving such as racing.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
GG is highest rated brake pad in term of performance(dusting doesn't count), EE is lowest.

Thanks! I just went out and looked at the set of Ceramic Wagner thermoquiet's I have waiting to go on a 2008 CRV and they are also rated GG. I had no idea.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Nice looking pads. I'm not knowledgeable enough about to brake pads to know what "GG" stands for..

The letters signify the coefficient of friction. Higher letters indicate higher friction. The first letter is low-temp performance and the second letter is high-temp performance.

More info from the EBC website:
http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/best-brake-pads-article-part-2/

Here's some specific info:
http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm

I installed them over the weekend. I have about 100 miles on them. So far they're smooth and have more bite than the previous pads.

I'll need to put more miles on them, but so far I'm pretty darn pleased for the cheap closeout price I paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back