A little satisfied with myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished replacing the heating element in the stove my sister gave us two years ago. :D The oven took about 10 to 11 minutes to get warm; I never thought anything of the element going bad. we were waiting for it to heat so we could make some biscuits and heard a pop and I went to look and the element was on fire. It took a week for the element to get here (ebay was cheaper even with shipping) and I'd never fooled with such.

When I got the solid end off the wire the connector was all rusty; I got to thinking that may have contributed to the failure with most of the current going through the non rusty end. Is that accurate?

Dirty connections cause hot spots. I replaced elements annually in a dryer we had. It keep burning the element out near the spade connector. When I was buying my third element and commenting that they all burned out near the connector ..a guy standing there flipped me a steal female spade connector. He said, I'll bet you put an aluminum connector on. He was right.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Dirty connections cause hot spots. I replaced elements annually in a dryer we had. It keep burning the element out near the spade connector. When I was buying my third element and commenting that they all burned out near the connector ..a guy standing there flipped me a ste e l female spade connector. He said, I'll bet you put an aluminum connector on. He was right.

Only when I read aluminum did this make sense to me... :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the spelling correction
48.gif

Years ago when it was built, some forward thinking person installed 'high tech' aluminum wiring in a house we were fixing to sell.
The inspectors did not like it! You need twice the size as copper to be safe. It required a new breaker box with additional wiring - big pain.
The same for aluminum jumper wires, or battery cables.

Originally Posted By: andyd
To the OP. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Dont fix what aint broke! :)
I'm glad it isn't broke any longer. I'd like to move from this state, but by choice, not because of our place burning down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back