A Little Mobil-1 Mystery -- Can You Solve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Now, there is a Mobil 1 Turbo Power? M1 TP? M1/M1 AFE, M1 EP, M1 EP HM, M1 HM, M1 T&S, and M1 TP. Now, that makes six varieties of the basically the same oil with the same industry and OEM certifications. How many more varieties do they need to have?

"Mobil 1 City - special blend for urban Uber and Lyft drivers"
"Mobil 1 Rock and Desert - for all you Jeepers in Utah and Nevada"
"Mobil 1 Bro Truck - extra protection against soot for those who Roll Coal"

They should have marketed "Mobil 1 Asian Express" right after Fast & Furious came out

Obviously, it is, and will remain, very difficult to sort out the differences, both in composition and in real world performance, between the new "TP" and its other Mobil-1 siblings.

One variable that will be very easy to sort out: price. It will be very interesting to see where TP slots in, relative to the other M1s, in the pricing scheme. My speculation (call it "lightly educated...") is that it will be above EP and below AP. Basis of speculation: I think they'll want to keep AP at the top of the heap, or it becomes nothing more than EP on steroids. Between EP and TP, it'll be something like, "well the EP can go a long time, but this TP stuff -- it can shrug off turbo heat."

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Obviously, it is, and will remain, very difficult to sort out the differences, both in composition and in real world performance, between the new "TP" and its other Mobil-1 siblings.

One variable that will be very easy to sort out: price. It will be very interesting to see where TP slots in, relative to the other M1s, in the pricing scheme. My speculation (call it "lightly educated...") is that it will be above EP and below AP. Basis of speculation: I think they'll want to keep AP at the top of the heap, or it becomes nothing more than EP on steroids. Between EP and TP, it'll be something like, "well the EP can go a long time, but this TP stuff -- it can shrug off turbo heat."

I agree. Price will be telling.

From a marketing standpoint, does this make sense? Why do companies clutter their product lines? I get that they want to sell more oil but what is the psychological point behind it? I'm generally a simple is better type.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Let's add M1 TP to do the list.

According to the MSDSs, M1 EP is still their flagship oil and it should be the best for any type of engine, including turbo and gas truck. The rest are all marketing gimmicks in my opinion. They also seem to create varieties as a means of dispensing their unused base stocks.

I'm using the regular M1 EP 0W-20 SN PLUS.

All or most contain some POE ester (2 - 10%). Most may contain some Group I solvent. All except M1 AFE 0W-16, M1 EP 0W-20, and M1 AP 0W-20 use Group III for the rest of the base oil. M1 AFE 0W-16, M1 EP 0W-20, and M1 AP 0W-20 are unlikely to have any Group III or GTL.

All values are rough estimates from the MSDSs.

M1 AFE 0W-16: PAO-based

M1 AFE 0W-20: 1/2 PAO-based and some GTL
M1 EP 0W-20: PAO-based
M1 EP HM 0W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 0W-20: 1/4 PAO- and 1/4 GTL-based
M1 TP 0W-20: 2/3 PAO and 1/3 Group III
M1 AP 0W-20: PAO-based

M1 5W-20: 2/3 GTL
M1 EP 5W-20: 1/3 PAO, a dash of GTL
M1 EP HM 5W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 5W-20: 1/4 GTL, a dash of PAO
M1 TP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO
M1 AP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO
Thanks for this Gokhan..

So if base fluids are similar to AP ... a different add pack would mean better use of the money spent and inventory associated with AP.
The 'annual' part was also a non starter - when I still see a Walmart automotive employee tell a guy to dump PP BC it's 3 months old ...

Oh, and now I understand what the TP was on new world order oil index chart ...

Last edited:
Heh, good one.

Don't forget "NASCAR endorsed". Because NASCAR uses turbos.

Originally Posted by Linctex

"Mobil 1 City - special blend for urban Uber and Lyft drivers"
"Mobil 1 Rock and Desert - for all you Jeepers in Utah and Nevada"
"Mobil 1 Bro Truck - extra protection against soot for those who Roll Coal"

They should have marketed "Mobil 1 Asian Express" right after Fast & Furious came out

I often wonder if they aren't hurting themselves, ultimately. They used to market just Mobil 1 and they put everything they had into it. Then again, I don't know much about retail shelf space, which is what this really might be about.

If up to me, and my job wasn't just to make them money, their synthetics would look like this. Mobil Super would stay as is. Mobil 1 would become their best car/truck/suv oil, period. If you race, just get the appropriate weight.

If you've got a high mileage engine that needs seal swelling additives, then I'd offer an additive separate from the oil.

I'm no marketing genius, though, so....

Last edited:
I didn't see a post about this yet...from a website listing trademarks.
"MOBIL 1 TURBO POWER
IP Type: Trademark
Jurisdiction: United States
Serial Number 88344529
Status Pending
Filing Date 2019-03-18
Owner Exxon Mobil Corporation ()
NICE Classes ? 04 - Industrial oils and greases; lubricants; fuels"

I would be very likely to try this stuff in 5W30...

I still find it so odd that Mobil 1 makes so many different oils, but yet there are still some vehicles out there that aren't covered. For instance, if you use their oil selector tool on their website and key in a new BMW M2, they don't make an oil for it! Or even my wife's 2010 328i for that matter! If you're going to make 55 different flavors of all of your oils, you'd think that they would have just about everyone covered. I would understand if they didn't make an oil for Lamborghini or Bugatti, but a common car like a BMW?

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I often wonder if they aren't hurting themselves, ultimately. They used to market just Mobil 1 and they put everything they had into it. Then again, I don't know much about retail shelf space, which is what this really might be about.

If up to me, and my job wasn't just to make them money, their synthetics would look like this. Mobil Super would stay as is. Mobil 1 would become their best car/truck/suv oil, period. If you race, just get the appropriate weight.

If you've got a high mileage engine that needs seal swelling additives, then I'd offer an additive separate from the oil.

I'm no marketing genius, though, so....

Totally agree.

Originally Posted by Patman
Or even my wife's 2010 328i for that matter! If you're going to make 55 different flavors of all of your oils, you'd think that they would have just about everyone covered.

They do, but you just have to buy a 1200 L quantity of Mobil Super 3000 5w-40.
wink.gif

The turbo oils are no longer on the product data guide. Hopefully they realize it's a dumb idea and will just focus on M1/EP/AP. They are already very good for turbo protection.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Despite the complex array of motor oils offered under the Mobil-1 name, and the complicated way they are laid out on Mobil's website, Mobil has at least offered a Mobil-1 "Oil Product Guide", which is a pdf, available from several different links on the various Mobil-1 sub-pages on their site. It offers basic info (the Zinc and Phosphorous levels are nice to see) on each of the oils Mobil sells under the Mobil-1 name.

It's currently five pages long. You can see the Oil Product Guide here.

The Mystery? Look at the last two lines on Page 3. There you will see described two viscosities of an oil called, "Mobil 1 Turbo Power", with the viscosities being 0w-20 and 5w-30. Unless I'm having a complete brain dump, I see no other references to these two oils anywhere on the Mobil sites and pages. Of course, I searched here on BITOG, and found nothing. Even Google comes up with nothing.

I'm at a loss. Are these old oils I just never heard of that are on their way out? Are they new ones on the way in? Maybe not offered in North America (then why listed...).

Does anyone know anything about these two mysterious (at least to me) flavors of Mobil-1?

they reamed it mobil1 ESP it's dexos2 that is why you cant find it

not dexos1 gen2

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP might not be Dexos2 certificated though

80a60ba7-9531-4844-9256-d6fe2330b883_3.7f54343bf7699a55e2d093a66d38173b.jpeg

Last edited:
but dexos 1 gen 2 is for turbos

i'm not sure how oil can help you pre ignition aka pinging aka knocking

the only way to do that is use 91/93 octane or higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back