A Little Mobil-1 Mystery -- Can You Solve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in almost all cases super-tech will do fine, just pick a viscosity of their cheaper synthetic or super cheap synthetic from warren oil. picked up a super tech 10-30 synthetic high mileage for my aunts leaky but good 1999 jeep cherokee + kept $10 in my pocket compared to the big name oils. i know rebates + deals work but why bother when you get good EVERYDAY prices IMO!! we need a petition to get super-tech euro spec 5-40 into USA walmarts or at least walmart.com's

Ideally, they should have just made 3 tiers, or even 2 - Mobil 1, EP, AP. Or Mobi 1 and made Mobil 1 EP good for 20k miles. It's ridiculous....

If it helps them sell more oil though, then the plan worked.

Wow -- it's a better thread than I thought -- I got both buster AND Patman! Sorta like the BITOG version of shimmering apparitions of Yoda and Obi-wan at the same time!
laugh.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
. . .

Did cars & pick-ups not get by just fine one Vanilla bottle M1 in the past?

. . .
21.gif

Indeed. When I started using M1, mid-80s I bought it at various military exchanges, where I was stationed. Prices were better, it was before the Super-Wal-Mart effect kicked in strong. There were exactly two choices, 5w-30 and, IIRC 15w-50, both came in round white plastic bottles. The shiny metal cans were already gone by then. Two choices. Yes, I got by on one, my Civic and the Dodge Aries (yes, I admit I owned one...) ran perfectly on the 5w-30.

In light of the marketing and shelf space comments, I can still see in my mind's eye from Cherry Point (most of my time), how the two viscosities stood side-by-side, two bottles across each (total of four wide) flanked tightly by other products on either side. You really had to be looking for the stuff, unless you noticed it by accident. It's not that way any more.

Originally Posted by Patman

Walmart's oil section in Canadian stores is so small it's embarrassing. I rarely waste my time looking there anymore. These new M1 oils will probably never make it onto our Walmart shelves here.

Down here, that's happened with Target. They used to have an automotive section that was almost the equal of Walmart, but not any more. Nowadays at Target, it's like, "oh, you'd like a bottle of oil -- it's over there." "It's" as in the singular, you're lucky if they have any...
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by loneryder
It's marketing 102. Take as much shelf space with different products as you can. ie: beer, soda, cigs etc.

You hit the nail on the head there loneryder!
smile.gif

I took a look at the MSDS and they were dated August of 2018, so they've been in development for quite some time. The 0w20 is majority PAO based (70%) while 5w20 and 5w30 show up to 10%, which I'm not sure how acccurate that is FWIW.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Wow -- it's a better thread than I thought -- I got both buster AND Patman! Sorta like the BITOG version of shimmering apparitions of Yoda and Obi-wan at the same time!
laugh.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
. . .

Did cars & pick-ups not get by just fine one Vanilla bottle M1 in the past?

. . .
21.gif

Indeed. When I started using M1, mid-80s I bought it at various military exchanges, where I was stationed. Prices were better, it was before the Super-Wal-Mart effect kicked in strong. There were exactly two choices, 5w-30 and, IIRC 15w-50, both came in round white plastic bottles. The shiny metal cans were already gone by then. Two choices. Yes, I got by on one, my Civic and the Dodge Aries (yes, I admit I owned one...) ran perfectly on the 5w-30.

In light of the marketing and shelf space comments, I can still see in my mind's eye from Cherry Point (most of my time), how the two viscosities stood side-by-side, two bottles across each (total of four wide) flanked tightly by other products on either side. You really had to be looking for the stuff, unless you noticed it by accident. It's not that way any more.

grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

laugh.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

banana2.gif

When I started using M1, mid-80s I bought it at various military exchanges, where I was stationed. Prices were better, it was before the Super-Wal-Mart effect kicked in strong. There were exactly two choices, 5w-30 and, IIRC 15w-50, both came in round white plastic bottles. The shiny metal cans were already gone by then. Two choices. Yes, I got by on one, my Civic and the Dodge Aries (yes, I admit I owned one...) ran perfectly on the 5w-30.

I first started using M1 in 1988, I could only find it at Esso gas stations at the time and IIRC it was $8 per liter. I used it in my new 1988 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo for a couple of intervals, but then went back to Castrol XLR 10w30 shortly after that.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by buster
The multi-tier approach has been growing YOY since early 2000's. I'm not a marketing guy, but the strategy seems redundant.

I agree. You could just go with EP for all applications and run just fine.

I agree but vanilla M1 is just fine. But people now days want to be "special" and buy "special" oil. This is Mobil's new "special" oil!

Now, there is a Mobil 1 Turbo Power? M1 TP? M1/M1 AFE, M1 EP, M1 EP HM, M1 HM, M1 T&S, and M1 TP. Now, that makes six varieties of the basically the same oil with the same industry and OEM certifications. How many more varieties do they need to have?

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Now, there is a Mobil 1 Turbo Power? M1 TP? M1/M1 AFE, M1 EP, M1 EP HM, M1 HM, M1 T&S, and M1 TP. Now, that makes six varieties of the basically the same oil with the same industry and OEM certifications. How many more varieties do they need to have?

M1-OCD sounds pretty good to me! Gotta go -- and wash my hands -- again. . .
laugh.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Let's add M1 TP to do the list.

According to the MSDSs, M1 EP is still their flagship oil and it should be the best for any type of engine, including turbo and gas truck. The rest are all marketing gimmicks in my opinion. They also seem to create varieties as a means of dispensing their unused base stocks.

I'm using the regular M1 EP 0W-20 SN PLUS.

All or most contain some POE ester (2 - 10%). Most may contain some Group I solvent. All except M1 AFE 0W-16, M1 EP 0W-20, and M1 AP 0W-20 use Group III for the rest of the base oil. M1 AFE 0W-16, M1 EP 0W-20, and M1 AP 0W-20 are unlikely to have any Group III or GTL.

All values are rough estimates from the MSDSs.

M1 AFE 0W-16: PAO-based

M1 AFE 0W-20: 1/2 PAO-based and some GTL
M1 EP 0W-20: PAO-based
M1 EP HM 0W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 0W-20: 1/4 PAO- and 1/4 GTL-based
M1 TP 0W-20: 2/3 PAO and 1/3 Group III
M1 AP 0W-20: PAO-based

M1 5W-20: 2/3 GTL
M1 EP 5W-20: 1/3 PAO, a dash of GTL
M1 EP HM 5W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 5W-20: 1/4 GTL, a dash of PAO
M1 TP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO
M1 AP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO

Seriously, though, at best, it seems awfully hard to tell. Looks like they're going to pitch it as a product better able to withstand turbocharger heat levels. Which begs a couple of questions, such as, shouldn't your products already do that?

4X better protection than oils FROM MOBIL 1 COMPETITORS!

Take that, SOPUS......

Originally Posted by Linctex
Seriously, though, at best, it seems awfully hard to tell. Looks like they're going to pitch it as a product better able to withstand turbocharger heat levels. Which begs a couple of questions, such as, shouldn't your products already do that?
4X better protection than oils FROM MOBIL 1 COMPETITORS!

Take that, SOPUS......

It says, "4X greater protection than the latest OEM turbocharger test requirements." I wonder if they are referring to dexos1 Gen 2.

Which reminds me this scene.

It says, "4X greater protection than the latest OEM turbocharger test requirements." I wonder if they are referring to dexos1 Gen 2.

I believe that is likely the case.

According to the MSDSs, M1 EP is still their flagship oil and it should be the best for any type of engine, including turbo and gas truck. The rest are all marketing gimmicks in my opinion. They also seem to create varieties as a means of dispensing their unused base stocks.

You're probably right, although I'd say AP is still their best oil overall as it's using their proprietary "anti-aging" system which could have more to do with AO's and additives than base oil composition.

I'm guess it is based on this:

Engine

2012 GM 1.4L
Duration
2,000 cycles of extreme heat soaks - approximately 537 hours

Measures
A motor oil's ability to resist deposits in a turbocharger's oil passages and bushings

Temperature change within the turbocharger limited to 13 percent

Yes, very likely.

There is a paper published on this:

Engine Oil Components Effects on Tu...Gasoline Turbocharger Deposit Protection

CONCLUSIONS

The following conclusions can be made:

1. Based on previous [2] and current findings, dispersants, antioxidants, and viscosity modifier have an effect on GMTC test response. Any impact from molybdenum level on GMTC test response appears to be minimal.

2. No correlation between the GMTC test response, measured as the percent increase in TCO temperature or average turbocharger deposit merit rating, and total deposits measured in TEOST 33C was observed.

3. Passing and failing TEOST 33C oils resulted in no significant difference in engine sludge and turbocharger deposit ratings in gasoline turbocharged vehicles under field driving conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back