A Little Mobil-1 Mystery -- Can You Solve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Interesting find. It seems the latest trend is to have very specific product lines for every type of engine or vehicle.

They might consider color coding.

The Campbell's soup and Jello methodology of marketing.

An ever widening array of choices to fill the shelf space, basically
pushing out most competition.

My 2¢

"Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich."
Someone shopping at Walmart for motor oil these days:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dave1251
Is there really any difference is real world performance in the Mobil One products in the same viscosity?

Heretic! The Oil Inquisition Security Forces are coming for you as we speak!

Seriously, though, at best, it seems awfully hard to tell. Looks like they're going to pitch it as a product better able to withstand turbocharger heat levels. Which begs a couple of questions, such as, shouldn't your products already do that? And, as you suggest, how will we ever tell that they do, if in fact, they do?

In 99% of real world applications, probably no difference. The 1% are unlikely to experience such wildly better or worse performance with one over the other that they'll really notice it.

Funny you were looking at the spreadsheet. I was just looking at it too.

I found at least one discrepancy between the Mobile 1 spreadsheet and their website. Not sure which has the error, but it's probably the spreadsheet.

For regular Mobil 1 10W-30, the spreadsheet does not mention ILSAC rating, but the website says it meets ILSAC GF-5 spec.

This is likely following the same marketing tack as Valvoline "modern engine."

Perhaps sn+ and d1g2 formulations arent handling LSPI quite as well as they had hoped (gf-6, api SP) anyone, and these companies are jumping early on the direction they think those certs are going?

Something different to counteract carbon buildup?

Originally Posted by StevieC
Oh look more marketing in a bottle...
smirk2.gif

True, but literally EVERY major oil manufacturer is guilty of that.....

Originally Posted by Patman
smirk2.gif

True, but literally EVERY major oil manufacturer is guilty of that.....

For sure... This is just as stupid as Valvoline Modern Engine or the new Shell Truck formula. I know, how about you make a darn good oil that fits all the vehicles in that class of GF-5 / API SN+ categories and stop with the multiple bottles of stuff with lots of marketing for all about the same price. Seems to be stupid to have multiple bottling lines.

Did cars & pick-ups not get by just fine one Vanilla bottle M1 in the past?

Is Ford requiring some special oil for their Ecoboosts? or GM or Chrysler or >> No they aren't.

21.gif

Last edited:
smirk2.gif

Marketing sells oil. Sometimes it makes sense like M1 Extended Performance, and sometimes you wonder and scratch your head like Shell's Rotella Gas Truck. It's been going on for years. Quaker States 4X4 oil was another head scratcher.

Just like Tide detergent. Gets your clothes as clean as they can be until next year when the "new and improved" Tide is introduced.

Show actual test runs and tear downs then in commercials or the peel back type labeling... Proof in the pudding as it were, that your 1 oil does everything their marketing specific oils do in head to head tests and save all the costs of having extra bottling lines and extra marketing.

Seems like a really stupid considering most take their vehicles to Jiffy Boob for whatever oil gets put in versus the smaller market of DIY-er's.

And where is Quaker States 4x4 formula now?
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Mobil has really bought into the marketing idea that more options the better. I personally don't like that approach, but their marketing team obviously does.

I guess regular Mobil 1 has 2x the trubo protetion.....but where does that leave EP and AP? Confusing.

This is old news, but back in 2006, Honda tested many off the shelf synthetics and only Mobil 1 passed the demaning HTO-06 test, which went beyond the TEOST test which only tests new oil and is flawed. It's always been great for turbos, I'm just not sure why the need for these two new oils other than to confuse more people.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...performance/mobil-1-turbocharged-engines

Did cars & pick-ups not get by just fine one Vanilla bottle M1 in the past?

I do agree, Mobil 1 has far too many "flavors" out there. Walmart doesn't have enough shelf space to include everything they produce!

And in Canada from the Walmarts I've been to they can't even seem to keep the generic branded items in stock for any brand and with all weights. It's a joke.

The multi-tier approach has been growing YOY since early 2000's. I'm not a marketing guy, but the strategy seems redundant.

I want to see more information on these oils as to what tests were used etc. I expect their web page will hopefully reveal that once it is updated. They are of no use to me though as I don't have a turbo
smile.gif

And in Canada from the Walmarts I've been to they can't even seem to keep the generic branded items in stock for any brand and with all weights. It's a joke.

Walmart's oil section in Canadian stores is so small it's embarrassing. I rarely waste my time looking there anymore. These new M1 oils will probably never make it onto our Walmart shelves here.

Originally Posted by Patman

Walmart's oil section in Canadian stores is so small it's embarrassing. I rarely waste my time looking there anymore. These new M1 oils will probably never make it onto our Walmart shelves here.

Yeah and then at PartSource and Canadian Tire they have a great selection but really high pricing unless on sale.
21.gif

I was surprised to see Quartz at my local PartSource yesterday when I was in for wipers I had a coupon for, this winter has been brutal on mine and they need replacement already.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
The multi-tier approach has been growing YOY since early 2000's. I'm not a marketing guy, but the strategy seems redundant.

I agree. You could just go with EP for all applications and run just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back