A Little Mobil-1 Mystery -- Can You Solve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the complex array of motor oils offered under the Mobil-1 name, and the complicated way they are laid out on Mobil's website, Mobil has at least offered a Mobil-1 "Oil Product Guide", which is a pdf, available from several different links on the various Mobil-1 sub-pages on their site. It offers basic info (the Zinc and Phosphorous levels are nice to see) on each of the oils Mobil sells under the Mobil-1 name.

It's currently five pages long. You can see the Oil Product Guide here.

The Mystery? Look at the last two lines on Page 3. There you will see described two viscosities of an oil called, "Mobil 1 Turbo Power", with the viscosities being 0w-20 and 5w-30. Unless I'm having a complete brain dump, I see no other references to these two oils anywhere on the Mobil sites and pages. Of course, I searched here on BITOG, and found nothing. Even Google comes up with nothing.

I'm at a loss. Are these old oils I just never heard of that are on their way out? Are they new ones on the way in? Maybe not offered in North America (then why listed...).

Does anyone know anything about these two mysterious (at least to me) flavors of Mobil-1?

If Walmart doesn't have the oil on the store shelves the oil it doesn't exist.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Despite the complex array of motor oils offered under the Mobil-1 name, and the complicated way they are laid out on Mobil's website, Mobil has at least offered a Mobil-1 "Oil Product Guide", which is a pdf, available from several different links on the various Mobil-1 sub-pages on their site. It offers basic info (the Zinc and Phosphorous levels are nice to see) on each of the oils Mobil sells under the Mobil-1 name.

It's currently five pages long. You can see the Oil Product Guide here.

The Mystery? Look at the last two lines on Page 3. There you will see described two viscosities of an oil called, "Mobil 1 Turbo Power", with the viscosities being 0w-20 and 5w-30. Unless I'm having a complete brain dump, I see no other references to these two oils anywhere on the Mobil sites and pages. Of course, I searched here on BITOG, and found nothing. Even Google comes up with nothing.

I'm at a loss. Are these old oils I just never heard of that are on their way out? Are they new ones on the way in? Maybe not offered in North America (then why listed...).

Does anyone know anything about these two mysterious (at least to me) flavors of Mobil-1?

Given that it lists SN Plus for both of them, I'm going to say these are brand new products that simply haven't appeared yet. Likely in the theme of the Truck and SUV oils that have recently appeared.

Interesting find. It seems the latest trend is to have very specific product lines for every type of engine or vehicle.

They might consider color coding.

Only Mobil 1 turbo oil I've ever noticed is their 5W-40 diesel oil
So not sure what that may be referencing to 🤔🤔

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Given that it lists SN Plus for both of them, I'm going to say these are brand new products that simply haven't appeared yet. Likely in the theme of the Truck and SUV oils that have recently appeared.

I'm thinking in that direction too; still, it's strange that the the "new kid" in the family is absent from the rest of the "family,"
as depicted here. You'd think they'd start marketing the stuff as soon as possible, but who knows. Maybe it's as simple as not being in the product pipeline yet. Or maybe it's part of some deep, sinister corporate conspiracy...
laugh.gif
(Just a little bloody red meat to get the conspiracy theorists revved up...).
wink.gif

Sounds like we got another new Mobil-1 coming out soon. Who knows! Maybe Exxon is striving for a Gasoline/Light Diesel Bakers Dozen someday.

Last edited:
OK Film, you definitely get the prize today!
thumbsup2.gif
Where did you find that, if you don't mind?!? I spent about 45 min bumbling through different pages on the Mobil site, and obviously found nothing!
blush.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
No Dexos badge on the front of that jug.

I suspect it's one of those marketing pics. It also lacks the vis. The Oil Product Guide at the link says Dexos-1.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
No Dexos badge on the front of that jug.
True, and they never bothered to get the new "Truck & SUV" oil dexos1 qualified either.
Yet anyway. You'd think this one can pass the GMOD test with flying colors according to the specific turbo claim.
A good marketing move. Many turbo engines out there. Similar to Valvoline overpriced Modern Engine's marketing approach.

Might be just a photo prop. I cannot imagine a 0w20 turbo oil would not carry the SN+ and d1G2 certs.

How many bitogers would run this in their non turbo engines? If the specs were good and the price is right I would consider it.

M1 marketing at its finest.

It's marketing 102. Take as much shelf space with different products as you can. ie: beer, soda, cigs etc.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Might be just a photo prop. I cannot imagine a 0w20 turbo oil would not carry the SN+ and d1G2 certs.

Again, check that spreadsheet. It indicates that both viscosities are Dexos-1 and SN+. bottle IS just a photo prop, not even having a viscosity shown. Why, it's even GF-5! Hmmmm, yet another possibility to consider...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac

Again, check that spreadsheet. It indicates that both viscosities are Dexos-1 and SN+. bottle IS just a photo prop, not even having a viscosity shown. Why, it's even GF-5! Hmmmm, yet another possibility to consider...
wink.gif

Yes it is intriguing. More so than the Shell Gas Truck oil.

I tend to agree with the idea that having all these product lines is a way to gain shelf real estate.

OK Film, Where did you find that, if you don't mind?!
Booth 3238 at this year's AAPEX in Vegas (11/2019) will have this product and the new Truck & SUV thingie too.

Above I mentioned this new oil targets GMOD; Actually there is a separate GM Ecotec 1.4L turbo DI engine test they run to look for turbo bearing deposits, and their "4x protection" must apply to those limits specifically.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
OK Film, Where did you find that, if you don't mind?!
Booth 3238 at this year's AAPEX in Vegas (11/2019) will have this product and the new Truck & SUV thingie too.

Above I mentioned this new oil targets GMOD; Actually there is a separate GM Ecotec 1.4L turbo DI engine test they run to look for turbo bearing deposits, and their "4x protection" must apply to those limits specifically.

Interesting. Thanks OFM. That little 1.4 TGDI engine has to be a hard worker. Any benefit this oil offers must also be beneficial to other engines as well. That is of course assuming this is not just a rebranding of a existing oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back