A little longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a trans change question here-

I'll be changing the Wife's ATF soon in her car (at 51k), mostly due the the fact that it is 6 years old, with mostly city driving
done. (I've noticed it's about that time while driving her car)

I plan to change my Cobalt's ATF in the near future, but the the history of this car (before me) was mostly freeway. It has 41k now, so would waiting until 60-65k be good? Or would it be wise to do it earlier? (like 55k). The trans seems to shift just fine, so I was wondering....

absoulutely... Dex VI is a good fluid, and it doesnt hurt to get it in there sooner...

Plus, the weather may be the best we will have all year, make hay while the sun shines!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
absoulutely... Dex VI is a good fluid, and it doesnt hurt to get it in there sooner...

Plus, the weather may be the best we will have all year, make hay while the sun shines!

Wait, I thought my Balt already has dex VI in there (06)...So, would it still be good to change it?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Wait, I thought my Balt already has dex VI in there (06)...So, would it still be good to change it?

What he's saying is that even though Dex VI is good fluid, it still should be changed out as soon as you can. Even good ATF breaks down with time, so change it out soon.

correct. I wasnt sure if yours did or didnt... but regardless, some fresh dex in there is a good thing, especially if it and the filter are still from when the car was new.

Dexron-VI is rated as good for 100,000 miles of severe service.

Before the expense of a fluid change, consider an analysis for $22.50 from Blackstone or any lab of your choice.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

Before the expense of a fluid change, consider an analysis for $22.50 from Blackstone or any lab of your choice.

That is double Amsoil which is 100,000 normal and 50,000 severe.

The problem with running any ATF for 50K or 100K miles without an inline or spin-on filter is you have all those wear metals floating around for 100K miles even if the ATF is still in fine shape.

Originally Posted By: Donald

The problem with running any ATF for 50K or 100K miles without an inline or spin-on filter is you have all those wear metals floating around for 100K miles even if the ATF is still in fine shape.

Donald is 100% correct.

I would recommend:

1) magnefine
2) external trans filter
3) rare earth magnet inside the trans pan

Originally Posted By: c3po

Donald is 100% correct.

I would recommend:

1) magnefine
2) external trans filter

What is 2 and 3?

Donald is 100% correct.

I would recommend:

1) magnefine
2) external trans filter

What is 2 and 3?

1 & 2 was an either. If you have a car, then maybe an inline Magnefine filter is the way to go. If you have a truck with more room then you can install a remote filter mount and connect it into the cooler line. The Magnefine filter is a 35 micron with a magnet, the spin-on filters have a better micron rating but no magnet (I think).

#3 is a stronger magnet you can install inside the pan, but of course you need to drop the pad to install it. And then drop the pan to clean it.

I am not sure I believe Dex VI is good for 100K of severe. Even if you have the best filter in the world.

I feel Amsoil is better than Dex VI and as other have said I would take a UOA before I ran it a real long time.

Donald is 100% correct.

I would recommend:

1) magnefine
2) external trans filter

What is 2 and 3?

1 & 2 was an either. If you have a car, then maybe an inline Magnefine filter is the way to go. If you have a truck with more room then you can install a remote filter mount and connect it into the cooler line. The Magnefine filter is a 35 micron with a magnet, the spin-on filters have a better micron rating but no magnet (I think).

#3 is a stronger magnet you can install inside the pan, but of course you need to drop the pad to install it. And then drop the pan to clean it.

Ah, I like the magnefine idea...it is going on a cavalier, so I think it could help....

I am not sure I believe Dex VI is good for 100K of severe. Even if you have the best filter in the world.

I feel Amsoil is better than Dex VI and as other have said I would take a UOA before I ran it a real long time.

Since her car does mostly city, I have to change it at 50k...I'm going to have to take a good look at amsoil...

I have had AMSOIL ATF in my Mother's 1993 Lumina sedan (3.1 V6) since 1993. I changed the ATF for the 1st time in about 2004 (complete purge of all ATF). It had about 80,000 miles on the AMSOIL (in at about 5,000 miles), mostly around town as the car has never been more than 50 miles from the house since she bought it new in fall of 1992. When the dropped the pan it was spotless. No way to tell it was in there for 10 yrs. It still had the oem GM filter as it was left in back in 1993 and there was no debris in the pan at all. The tech asked me why I was changing it, the ATF and the inside of the pan looked new. He said its rare to find one 10 yrs old that looks this good.

Put in some fresh ATF and have driven another 12,000 miles since and its flawless.

So I would not worry about the AMSOIL ATF, its the best out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back