A little annoyed with Wix today

Pull my old filter, drain the oil pan, then begin to pre fill my new Wix filter…

What. The. F. Is. That?

Pulled out what looked like overcasting of the silicone anti drainback valve with some hemostats. It’s like a 3.5 mile walk with nearly 1,000 ft elevation change to get to the nearest auto parts store. I’m already running late to pick up my partner from work.

Not happy.

Attachments

• C8AAA55A-7DE3-4D52-B6EC-0EBBF9D3041D.jpeg
    C8AAA55A-7DE3-4D52-B6EC-0EBBF9D3041D.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 447
Pull my old filter, drain the oil pan, then begin to pre fill my new Wix filter…

What. The. F. Is. That?

Pulled out what looked like overcasting of the silicone anti drainback valve with some hemostats. It’s like a 3.5 mile walk with nearly 1,000 ft elevation change to get to the nearest auto parts store. I’m already running late to pick up my partner from work.

Not happy.
*** is happening with wix? These stories I’m hearing I’m pushing further away from the wix brand.

Hmm, I think the can end bypass would catch that, hope! Wix brand is greatly diminished recently. Definitely a Fail.
It would probably be caught in the media ... but, if the bypass valve opened at the wrong time it could certainly be swept into the engine. There was a thread many years ago where someone's engine was damaged because something broke off of the filter (glue?) and went into the engine through the bypass valve. Don't recall what brand oil filter it was. The filter company claimed it couldn't get into the engine, and I told him in the thread to say it certainly could if the bypass valve opened. They ended up fixing his damaged engine.

Last edited:

What. The. F. Is. That?

Not happy.
Manufacturing is not perfect. That is in the inlet of the filter and would likely get trapped in the filter for eternity. You pulled it out anyway. Life will go on, Wix will survive despite you being unhappy. Next time, get a spare. You will use it.

I have seen several wix filter problems lately (including something as simple as no sticker) I am sure these problems have always been there as with any manufacturing. I think the difference, in the past they did a better Job with Quality Control and the "bad products" were removed at the factory and never made it to the end consumer. It seems all QC has gone out the window.

Kinda sad that P1 and Puro Boss filters I’ve saw and cut apart recently look better than this filth. Even Auto Extra 618-10255 and few others tearing and made shoddy.

Glad I have some older Bosch D+ filters to ise

It would probably be caught in the media ... but, if the bypass valve opened at the wrong time it could certainly be swept into the engine. There was a thread many years ago where someone's engine was damaged because something broke off of the filter (glue?) and went into the engine through the bypass valve. Don't recall what brand oil filter it was. The filter company claimed it couldn't get into the engine, and I told him in the thread to say it certainly could if the bypass valve opened. They ended up fixing his damaged engine.
I remember similar thread. IIRC, it was an early ACDelco PF454 (?) where a piece of the media broke away and entered the engine. It took a while for the OP to confess to a blocked off filter adapter bypass.

I remember similar thread. IIRC, it was an early ACDelco PF454 (?) where a piece of the media broke away and entered the engine. It took a while for the OP to confess to a blocked off filter adapter bypass.
Found the thread ... I must say the Search Function with the new board software works like a dream. It's an interesting read.

It was a piece of glue, and it sounds like Valvoline (probably Purolator made at the time around 2014?) oil filter.

Last edited:
Back