A little advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much about about reading VOAs so I'd like a little help from you experts.

Currently I'm running Castrol GTX 5w30 in my Toyota Tacoma 3.4l truck. It's all I've ever put in it since new and it only has 6500 miles on it now. I've changed the oil twice so far.

I'm going to switch to 10w30 next spring and I'd like your opinions on which 10w30 shows the best VOA numbers.

I'm looking to stay with dino since I change it about every 3000 miles.

I'm thinking about picking up a 5 gal. pail of Rotella T 10w30. I have a friend who works at a truck stop and can special order it through their suppliers and give me a pretty good deal. How do you think their numbers look from their website...

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/ROTELLA T MG.PDF

Should I go through the hassle of a special order, or just go to Castrol GTX 10w30, or is there something even better (readily available and around the same price)?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm really hoping to get 200,000 out of this truck.

Having used Castrol GTX for many years I know it is a great oil. I have recently compared the spec of this oil to others and have come away finding it superior in most specifications. For a dino oil three seems to stand out. Chevron supreme,Pennzoil, and Castrol GTX.

speedy341 - Do a search in the Used Oil Analysis section. There are a few UOA's on that engine, and one recent one using the Castrol Syntec blend with excellent results. The blend is almost as cheap as dino and you could probably increase your OCI to 5k miles.

Myself, I've given over to the dark side. I'm running German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 in mine...

[ November 25, 2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

I don't see 3000 mile intervals being much of a challenge for any premium oil, let alone a premium HDEO in a gas pot. The Rotella should do quite nicely I would think.

I would go with Chevron Supreme if you use dino. Its $1.08 a quart at Walmart.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 6000 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82200 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Any deisel oil like the Rotella has better detergent/dispersent packages than gasoline engine oils. If you can get Rotella cheap, this would be a good choice.

speede,

Since you are still in the "break-in" period on your Taco...Should you consider a high moly oil such as Chevron Supreme?

Or what would some other good break in oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back