A great reason to change your own oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chainblu
Funny how no one talks about the 80% that DID meet API standards.

At that rate, do you think its acceptable for 80% of the milk at your local grocery store to be USDA approved?

Ewww my friend. Better check your labels!

that's good thanks...

the article isn't specific or detailed in exactly what sort of fraud they discovered, never mentioned if they actually tested the suspected oils only that they could not certify them through their licensed channels. I suspect the true amount of inferior oil may be far less. I'm all for API or a certification process but this article by API with so few details at first blush is mostly self-serving drivel.

API specs are the dominant standards for vehicles sold in this country.
If an engine calls for an API SN 5W-20, then that's what the maker intended it get and that's what it should get.
A shop need not join API's MOM program.
It need only use and document on receipts that it uses oil meeting the appropriate grade and API spec for each vehicle serviced.
API specs aren't especially demanding as oil specs go, so an oil not meeting them seems a little scary.
PQIA has demonstrated that there are some truly bad oils available out there. This is probably as true of bulk oils as it is of oils sold at ghetto gas stations/convenience stores.

Several years I switched back to changing the oil in my personal vehicles because a lot of the shops didn't have 5W-20 & 5w-30 oils for the Honda's and Ford's that we owned at the time. The shops were filling them with 10w-30 bulk oil of unknown origin. After asking the shop why they put 10w-30 in my wife's Honda when it clearly says it requires 5w-20 on the fill cap they "responded We use 10w-30 on everything that's what we have in the bulk tank. It will be fine." I also found out they used a bulk "re-cycled" oil as well as "re-cycled" coolants. Unbelievable!!! I paid for something that I immediately changed myself at home. Stopped at a Kragen Auto Parts (remember them?) on the way home and bought the appropriate 5w-20 Castrol GTX at the time and a Fram oil filter (back in 2001) and have been doing it myself since then.

Like some of the other posters have said, incompetence exists at all levels of automotive and medium/heavy trucks service locations including dealerships.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Thanks for the Post and information. I have changed my own oil for more years than I can remember. My reasons are myriad; and money is NOT a concern. I spend MORE money on my bypass filtration systems and synthetic oil.

I change my own oil for the peace of mind I have. For example, my wife's car has a Kleen-Oil KOU6 on it; http://www.kleenoilusa.com/ the distributor I bought it from has a protected sales territory and told me I am the only passenger car in St. Louis, MO with this filter on it. My wife's car oil has 8,000+ miles on it and it is cleaner than new oil out of the container; with excellent TBN, viscosity and low wear metals.

My car has an Amsoil bypass filter on it together with Motorsilk and Filtermags. My oil has almost 20,000 miles on it and it is in ISO 4406 14/11 for cleanliness. I am building a bracket to install a Puradyn bypass filter on it in addition to the Amsoil bypass. I MAY never change my oil again, depending on UOA. But for now, I know my oil is cleaner than your oil, and it doesn't matter if you just changed yours.

There are SAE papers demonstrating that clean oil adds to engine longevity. I LIKE my car, and we'll see how long it lasts.

That's awesome... I installed an amsoil dual bypass setup on my 2003 CRV just this past August and I am loving it... it just makes sense, in every way. It erks me when people claim bypass filters are a waste of time, not a good ROI, you will never recover the cost, doesn't extend engine life(HAH).

sethhu...

After seeing my next UOA, (first one done at 5,000km) which will be at 15,000km or 20,000km, depending on how I feel at that point, currently I have 10,000km+ only on oil, and I hope to reach at least 60,000km OCI. I also want to get a engine compression test done right away to get a base line health figure.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: chainblu
Funny how no one talks about the 80% that DID meet API standards.

At that rate, do you think its acceptable for 80% of the milk at your local grocery store to be USDA approved?

Ewww my friend. Better check your labels!

Not really a perfect analogy because the api is being self serving in this case for their own certification program
A better analogy is you want your milk to be certified organic and hormone free by such and such organic organization. Dont see the organic stamp?. Well then there is a 20% chance you'll be exposed to chemicals linked to autism. Is that a chance you want to risk? Tell your grocer to sign up for our program to get certified milk only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back