A great guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I posted something at another forum which i belong to. And i thought that i should share it here:

As you might well have figured out, Philadelphia has it's share of bad apples. Just like any other large group of people.

And i heard more than one personal attack against this guy, Matumbo.

"He does not have an ounce of talent."
"I think that he is clumsy"
"No skill whatsoever."
"He was born tall. So what."

And then i hear folks on the radio poking fun at his accent.
etc, etc.

And my own thoughts are often like "Well, why don't you just go and .....[edit, edit, edit....]

Some people here don't show the slightest sign of decency.

Anyways, i wanted to post up some pictures of the hospital in Africa that this guy co-founded and co-financed.

Over the course of many years Matumbo put 18.5 million in to the hopital that's named after his mother.

152879908_small.jpg

ibc_11_DRC09.0826.VENEMAN01.jpg

Bill Clinton's wife:

3811543767_4c49396b8b_m.jpg

George Bush's wife

311xInlineGallery.jpg

In honor of his humanitarianism, Mutombo was invited to President George W. Bush's 2007 State of the Union Address and was referred to as a "son of the Congo" by the President in his speech.[19] Mutombo later said, "My heart was full of joy. I didn't know the President was going to say such great remarks."[20]

Bono:

bono_mutombo.jpg

Press conference:
NVSDikembe08.jpg

Although it looks as if Dikembe’s on-court career is over due to a torn tendon, the upside is that I suspect that we’ll see much more of him now that he’s not playing. “My prayer is that as many people as we have in Houston, maybe 100,000 will respond to my call to donate $20 or more,” Mutombo told the Houston Chronicle in March. “After that, I’m planning to go after every city that I played for.” The eight-time NBA All-Star and four-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year has played in Denver, Atlanta, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York and Houston.

Wikipedia

It seems like when you make it people want to knock you down or find anything that makes you look bad.
Here is an example of a talented player who gave back instead of blinging himself to death.
I say "GOOD JOB!!!".

A sports player with a heart. Hopefully a model for other professional athletes to follow. What better way to be idolized than to not only be a sports star, but also be a humanitarian star?

Originally Posted By: oldhp
It seems like when you make it people want to knock you down or find anything that makes you look bad.
Here is an example of a talented player who gave back instead of blinging himself to death.
I say "GOOD JOB!!!".

Good-Post.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Always liked him. But what's with his gold deal?

Honestly, I have no idea. I hadn't heard of that until today.

Seems more common with the less spoiled African players. Manute Bol did great things for his country and died rather poor because of what he gave. American players die poor because of what they spend. Much respect to Deke, but still wish Theo Ratliff didn't get injured because Deke totally changed the tempo of the Sixers.

ref

Originally Posted By: skate1968

He's a good sport!! i think. He's shows humility.

I wondered who the obnoxious overbearing guy in that commercial was!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back