A great 0w-40 Synthetic Turbo Diesel Oil !

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Mobil 0w-40 Supersyn is one heck of an oil undeniably
wink.gif

With all the dang specs it meets to include A3 - ISLAC GF-3 the only thing left for it is possibly if it had some of Pennzoils Pennzane in it ...... yes it could be used in space
tongue.gif

Look at how it's marketed in Europe , same oil as the USA formula with a different label .
smile.gif

Mobil 0w-40 Turbo Diesel Oil

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
wink.gif

With all the dang specs it meets to include A3 - ISLAC GF-3 the only thing left for it is possibly if it had some of Pennzoils Pennzane in it ...... yes it could be used in space
tongue.gif

Look at how it's marketed in Europe , same oil as the USA formula with a different label .
smile.gif

I have thought strongly about trying it, but the Castrol Syntec 10W-40 looks good to for me.

What say yea?

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
I think other than its seeming to thin out from UOA it is an excellent oil. However we have seen better UOA using the 10w-30 on same engine comparisons. If I where doing 10,000 mile changes I would try this oil. For 6000 mile changes which I do, I prefer the 10w-30. However it does not meet the A3 spec like the 0w-40. The 5w-40 Mobil for trucks and SUV's may be a better choice. Wonder if it meets the A3 spec?

Much ado has been made about A3, but I'm not sure it so relevant to me. I have a 3.8L V-6 so actually I think the M1 10-30 might be more bullet proof for a longer drain.

Since my car runs 30 wt. fine, I would only run the 0-40 for better wear, not longer drains.

I think A5, B5 is fine.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
I think other than its seeming to thin out from UOA it is an excellent oil. However we have seen better UOA using the 10w-30 on same engine comparisons. If I where doing 10,000 mile changes I would try this oil. For 6000 mile changes which I do, I prefer the 10w-30. However it does not meet the A3 spec like the 0w-40. The 5w-40 Mobil for trucks and SUV's may be a better choice. Wonder if it meets the A3 spec?

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 is the same as Mobil Delvac 1, a HDEO. I don't think Mobil has even bothered to test to A3, which is a gasoline spec.

Delvac 1 exceeds ACEA E3, E4, and E5, so it would probably exceed ACEA A3 and A5 as well.

Both Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 Truck & SUV are cross-certified to API SL, so they're quite suitable for a gasoline motor.

Jerry

Quote:

I think A5, B5 is fine
grin.gif

Yep it's the approximate equal to the A3 only a lighter viscosity .

You've probably noted last year the Europeans oil makers started making low viscosity Ford Specific oils since Ford is recommending it now in Asia / Europe .... I have the typical data ect , will post it later .

MikeW, Motorbike posted in the VOA section on this Castrol recently. Sorry, I can't provide a link.

This is the general assumption, but I think it may be very different from what many think.

This look like some promising stuff.

The VOA will tell you about the additive package, but I don't think it says too much about the base stock. The flip side is that the group III would probably do fine. It's just that for the same money I can get group III or group IV. I'd rather have group IV.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
MikeW, Motorbike posted in the VOA section on this Castrol recently. Sorry, I can't provide a link.

This is the general assumption, but I think it may be very different from what many think.

This look like some promising stuff.

Mike ,

The 10w-40 Syntec is comprised of group III hydroisomerized , the Shell Slack Wax and PAO .

It does not appear to be the run of the mill group III . Time will tell . I'm sticking it in a engine for awhile cause it has me curious .
smile.gif

The 5w-30 and 10w-30 has been upgraded to ACEA A5 vs the A1 of previous formulas of theirs .

Oh yeah , forgot to add that like the Mobil 0w-40 the 10w-40 Syntec has an ISLAC GF-3 rating too .

Not many 40wts can brag about that
tongue.gif

For the money though ..... I'll take the 0w-40 Mobil next time around .

I think the M1 0w-40 has it's place and in certain engines would shine. I'd use this oil in a Jeep or LS1. You'll get the 0w and 40wt protection. It does shear by design but on a % basis, it's probably not much worse then some of these other oils that thicken a lot.
smile.gif

I think the general assumption with Syntec is that any of the domestic stuff is group III hydroisomerized 'pseudosynth', not real PAO / ester based synthetic. I haven't heard that the 10w40 doesn't fall into that category.

The german made 0w30 is widely assumed to be a true synth, and the 5w40 may also be.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

quote:

wink.gif

tongue.gif

smile.gif

I have thought strongly about trying it, but the Castrol Syntec 10W-40 looks good to for me.

What say yea?

quote:

Oh yeah , forgot to add that like the Mobil 0w-40 the 10w-40 Syntec has an ISLAC GF-3 rating too .

Not many 40wts can brag about that
tongue.gif

For the money though ..... I'll take the 0w-40 Mobil next time around .

The Castrol is a bit cheaper for me, since Wally's doesn't have the 0W-40 M1 on sale in the 5qt. jugs.

I think people are just dismissing Syntec as an over priced GrpIII out of hand, when there is a lot more to the story.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I think the M1 0w-40 has it's place and in certain engines would shine. I'd use this oil in a Jeep or LS1. You'll get the 0w and 40wt protection. It does shear by design but on a % basis, it's probably not much worse then some of these other oils that thicken a lot.
smile.gif

I believe the only problem with the 0w-40 we have seen here is it has not in most cases been run out to it's potential . 6-7k miles in a good engine is nothing for that oil . Some seem to think the vii's will cause sludging or other problems like making the rear bumper fall off
smile.gif
..... thinking is one thing , proving is another .

Mobil is really going to sell alot of that 5w-40 SUV oil . In reality though the 0w-40 would be the best choice of those two 40wt's for use in most of modern gasoline engines for several reasons especially if the maker did not call for a 40wt .

Haley ,

I agree that the Syntec is a much better oil than it's made out to be by some . There are not any analysis's here of the A5 30wts but another member just posted that he ran the A1 version to 10k a few times . Castrol sure has a winner with their Syntec Blend also . It's in grade still at over 6k miles .

I think it is neat that we have such great oils available to us in the OTC Syntec 0w-30 and Mobil 0w-40 . Both are 10k mile motor oils at less than 5 bucks a quart .

"Mobil is really going to sell alot of that 5w-40 SUV oil . In reality though the 0w-40 would be the best choice of those two 40wt's for use in most of modern gasoline engines for several reasons especially if the maker did not call for a 40wt .

Haley ,"

Besides the 5W-40 SUV oil being slightly thicker than 0W-40, why do you say that 0W-40 is a better choice?

quote:

"Mobil is really going to sell alot of that 5w-40 SUV oil . In reality though the 0w-40 would be the best choice of those two 40wt's for use in most of modern gasoline engines for several reasons especially if the maker did not call for a 40wt .

Haley ,"

Besides the 5W-40 SUV oil being slightly thicker than 0W-40, why do you say that 0W-40 is a better choice?

Yes, by all means, tell me why I should dethrone Delvac 1? "Eyes gots to know" (I know what you're thinkin ..did he shoot 6 shots or only 5 ..)

I want to know the same thing. I've got 2k to go with my GMC 5.3L AutoRx flush to decide. I was hoping to get the T&SUV but am now wondering about the 0w-40. Some say no, some say it's best of both worlds. Which opinions can be substanciated?

quote:

Originally posted by blsnelling:

Which opinions can be substanciated?

Only yours through the use of engine oil analysis in your vehicle and how you drive and carefull fuel mileage records if your speaking M1 Truck vs M1 0w-40 and care about a little extra mileage when paying the same price for engine oil .

My opinion is the wheel was not reinvented when Mobil started putting Delvac 1 5w-40 in a different bottle . I anxiously await some of the analylsis's that will come in . Especially the smaller import motors using it
wink.gif

JMO though
wink.gif

[ March 12, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back