A good pair of battery terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a good pair of battery terminals? The lead-free battery terminals or those big lead battery terminals? Or some exotic material like those gold ones? What do you guys recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed with Brian. I would replace with OEM one. Might cost you a bit extra, but ensures that it meets factory spec and a good connection. Could save you lots of headaches and/or worn out electrical system parts.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The best option is replacing the whole cable, instead of clamping a replacement terminal to the end of it.

I agree, by far the best way to drop resistance as well as getting a fresh terminal all in one. Don't forget to clean up the ground connection when installing new cables.

I put on a load of cable ends. Cleaning, crimping, even soldering sometimes. Fair to good results.
But it really is best to get a whole new cable, and always bigger diameter wire than stock, if possible.

I had problems with the connector on my 2001 Odyssey positive cable, and the dealer didn't have one, but said it cost $140, as it ran for some distance and down to the starter. I found a set of connectors at Advanced Auto, and it has worked out ok.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The best option is replacing the whole cable, instead of clamping a replacement terminal to the end of it.

Agreed. I've seen more than a few starting problems traced to replacement cable terminals.

Well I'll go with your guys idea and buy a new replacement cable for the ground.

Does anybody know where the negative from the battery goes to?

Like side terminals, the threaded stud terminals are tough to properly attach jumper cables to. The stainless steel nuts used in trucks are very hard and the jumper cable clamps dont bite well into the nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back