a good Hyundai Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know of a good online forum for Hyundai owners? I see several, but I was wondering if you guys have any experience with any of those. (I wasn't too impressed with Hyundaiforums.com, hardly anything going on there).
My wife's car is a 2003 Elantra, and I would like to keep ourselves informed...a good forum can be very useful sometimes.

So before searching for/joining other forums, I wanted to see what Hyundai owners here would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, they're a pretty good crew there. Even after I got rid of the Ellantra for the Accent, they still have ideas and fixes. Hyundais are Hyundais, after all...
dunno.gif

Any recommendations for ATF in an Elantra...I joined that forum today(just now)...Im waiting on the whole process...but my girlfriends Elantra is begging for an AT service. Any recommendations?

Use whatever the factory says in the book. ATF is not created equal anymore. The stray ATF at auto zone can, like with Hondas and others, wreck the seals and clutches. Beeeee Careful!

Besides, it's a once every 30 service, why NOT get it from the Stealer, just to be sure. Especially if it's under warranty. Don't forget the filter, if it has one. I'm a 5-speed Hyundai guy, myself, but the AT is kinda critical, from what I hear. Maybe Ray H. will see this, he has an AT Hyundai Sonata, I think, he'll pipe up sometime today, I'm sure.

Ray H? Does the brand/spec of AT matter in the Hyundais? Or am I, as usual, just being paranoid?

Good Luck, Bus!

quote:

Originally posted by ShortBuSX:
Any recommendations for ATF in an Elantra...I joined that forum today(just now)...Im waiting on the whole process...but my girlfriends Elantra is begging for an AT service. Any recommendations?

Yes.. very important to get Hyundai Brand ATF fluid. I've been hearing of transmission failure because people would use aftermarket ATF fluid.

As for Manual transmission Oil, I would use a high quality oil like Amsoil GL-4 MTG. The stuff Hyundai gives out is crap. My 1st and 2nd gear syncros were grinding my gears and I just had to get synthetic fluid. Now my Transmission woos are gone thanks to amsoil.

The official Hyundai party line for warranty consideration is that the only specified ATF for its automatic transmissions manufactured for the 1996 and subsequent model years is "SP-III". (A proprietary Mitsubishi formulation only available through Mitsubishi, Hyundai, and KIA dealerships - doesn't matter which automaker's name is on the
bottle(s), but the ATF designation and/or part number better be on the purchase receipt for do-it-yourselfers.)

Nah, its not still under warranty, she just paid it off, and Id like to do ATF exchanges like I do in my own car, so as to get more miles out of her heap...and it is a looooad, but it is still running and getting her to and from work.

Thanks guys. I just checked that forum out; seems very good; I think I'll join, too, and share with you guys here whatever important tips/facts I get on Elantras. Cool that they also have a seperate detail section there.

Ray, what's your idea for 5 speed MT oil? Hyundai specs 75W-85 GL4.

It looks like Specialty Formulations (75W85 GL4 Syn)is the one I have to use, which honks me off, EVERYTHING at AZ, AA, and whatnot, is GL-5 85W90.

No particular problem with Specialty, understand, but I need 2.2 quarts, and their minimum buy is a gallon for $30.00
twak.gif

Ouch!

Sorry about (but thanks for) the highjack!

ShortBusX,
2003 Elantra not under warrantee? Do you have over 100,000 miles? If not the drivetrain is covered for 100,000 miles. I have a 2002 Elantra and will continue to have the dealer change the transmission fluid just to keep the warrantee, even though I hate the $110 charge for the service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back