A good dino that can go 7500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than focus on a particular brand, I'll say that an oil with a high Total Base Number "TBN" would be a good place to start. This relates to an oil's reserve alkalinity, its ability to control acids and other contaminants over the long term. In other words, the longevity and effectiveness of its detergent/dispersant package. Unfortunately most oil firms don't publish TBNs in their spec sheets, so this particular trait is of limited use.

That said, you'll find that the Chevron and Texaco Havoline oils have TBNs somewhat higher than much of the competition. For 10w-30 oils, for example (see the link below), these sister oils have TBNs of 7.4, while Kendall GT-1 and Union 76 oils have TBNs of 6.2.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003925

Better yet, the multiweight "diesel/gasoline" oils (Rotella, Delo 400, Delvac, etc.) have TBNs in the range of 10.1-11.5. These would be your best bet for 7,500 mi drains if you don't want to pay for synthetic.

Some of the Pennzoil LL offerings look like they might make 7500 miles. Depends on the car, driving habits, weather, and your definition of "cheap". The difference could be expensive...especially if we be gellin'....

it does not have to be cheap but it would be nice. What is penzoil LL?

thanks

Chevron Delo 400 ....

Run their 10w-30 in the winter and 15w-40 for the six warmest months out of the year ....

Yes, $6.00/gallon IS cheap ...I paid that much for a quart of Amsoil 25 years ago ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

One other thing:don't be "penny wise and pound foolish" Do an oil analysis at between 5 and 6 K to confirm that your car and the oil are living happily together. I wuld defer to Too Slick on the Delo. I think Delvac 1300 is very good.

quote:

Better yet, the multiweight "diesel/gasoline" oils (Rotella, Delo 400, Delvac, etc.) have TBNs in the range of 10.1-11.5. These would be your best bet for 7,500 mi drains if you don't want to pay for synthetic.

I'd like to think Delvac 1 is synthetic when priced at $35/4L Cdn.?

"Product Description
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is a supreme performance, fully synthetic commercial engine oil that provides unsurpassed lubrication..."

The oil might last 7500 miles but will the filter?

What I mean is if you are going cheap with the oil, will you really spend $10 on the filter in order to get one of the best available?

And what is the "Love Affair" with the dino oil? Use a synthetic that is rated for 7500 miles, then you won't have to worry. I know that Amsoil makes a 7500 mile oil for those who love to change the oil regularly, and the price is reasonable! I am sure that the Amsoil sponsors on this site can send you 6 qts ASAP, and a FILTER that will go the distance!

Cheers, Doug

[ December 17, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Doug C ]

quote:

Originally posted by Doug C:

And what is the "Love Affair" with the dino oil?

Cheers, Doug

Honestly since the advent of groupII base oils and premium additive packages the same could be said about synthetics . These new oils are different than a few years back .

I estimate cost for oil and filter here to be 11.00 - 12.00

9400 miles on Castrol GTX High Mileage:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000894

Not to get into a pi$$ing match
smile.gif
but there are many oils that get's their job done well .

A good dino oil for 7500 miles. You might be asking a bit much. If you drive all road miles like interstate, maybe. SOme things are too good to be true and you might just have found one. I now use Schaeffer's 7000 10w-30 and go 5000 miles. If one were to go 7500 with standard oil I think an UOA would be in order at least at 5k to determine how things stand.
If you find out the dinitive answer I think we all would like to know.
GregH

I myself would never run a conventional oil past 4000 mi. Syns are just that much better for extended drains cold starts. Besides, I want engine cleanliness, and a dino oil does not offer that guarantee.

Average distance between oil changes for cars of recent vintage is 12,500kms (7,767 miles) to 15,000kms (9,320 miles). Most use dealer dino nothing special. Many miss changes completely as I saw one day at my Subaru dealer (dopey guy had gone 25,000kms). Maybe we worry too much??

I drive mostly highway, 90% highway 10% city.
So I the engine has it pretty easy.

Heck, if that is the case than good old SAE 30 like Mobil's 1330 would easly go 7,500 miles.
When it gets cookin' in the summer the SAE 40 will get the job done at $1.80 a quart from the commercial outlet nearest you.
I'd bet that any of the Diesel CI-4s in 10W30 or 15W40 would go past 7,500 miles on the highway.

[ December 18, 2003, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

Wont i need some type _W-__ becuase it has the cleaning agents in it?
I afraid to stray away from what the manuafactuer recommends like the 5w-30 or 10w-30.

Also is 10w-30 ok to use if i keep it gararged. Only time it sits over 8 hours outside is at work 5 times a week.

[ December 18, 2003, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: goodoleboy ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back