A few questions about Valvoline VR1 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read around here that valvoline is pretty much considered a joke. Conversly, many, many, maaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnyyyyy people I race with or I know have raced have absolutely sworn by their racing oils.

Now, I don't do really hardcore racing, just autocrossing, but I do it 20-30 times a year. I do use VR1 because it's cheap and it's been recommended by some of the folk that I either know race or I race with currently.

My question is, is this really a good oil to use for this price range ($2 max)? Is there something else that I should, shouldn't be using?

In addition to this, during the winter I use 10w30 Max life for when I do ice racing. It sees temps as low as -5 F, but is only started stone cold once the entire day.

The car is an 85 Nissan 300zx that burns no oil. I Change my oil every 4 races in the summer and never change it during the winter (I put less then 1500 miles and I never see the rev limiter).

Well-Valvoline doesn't find a lot of favor here. But a goven oil in a given engine can do fine. I'm not familiar with this articular grade. But it seems to me that a 50 wt might not really be necessary in that engine. You might want to consider Pennzoil, GTX or Chevron Supreme. Perhaps those telling you about this oil have some knowledge/good experience. Hopefully you'll get more/better responses here.

An oil analysis could certainly help in this area.
smile.gif

welcome.gif

A good lower cost racing oil that is overlooked even here is the Schaeffers 20w-50 and the 7000 blend 15w-40 with LC at 1 ounce per Qt capacity would suit you well for just a hair over $2.00 a qt.

The 15w-40 blend with LC is a great racing oil.

800 737 1747 for a small order or get a hold of Bob Winters through David for larger orders.

But why is it better. What way is the VR1 really lacking? Mainly, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Also, anyone know of a place to do an oil analysis in the Chicago or Milwaukee area?

So where do you all stand on Amsoil, Mobil 1 and the maligned Quaker State oils?

I also plan on running vr1 all summer, 20w50, I rallyX, see 100+ days fairly often and hit the limiter a couple times a week.

[ February 19, 2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Hahn ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
A good lower cost racing oil that is overlooked even here is the Schaeffers 20w-50 and the 7000 blend 15w-40 with LC at 1 ounce per Qt capacity would suit you well for just a hair over $2.00 a qt.

The 15w-40 blend with LC is a great racing oil.

800 737 1747 for a small order or get a hold of Bob Winters through David for larger orders.

Terry,

Not jumping on your case here, but your post is an exact example of the complaints I hear about this site on other message boards...people feel like it is just a board set up for certain people to constantly/continuely push their products, be it bypass filters, and oil, or oil additive.

It can be a great recommendation, but when you are trying to sell the product as well, people just get turned off by it...

I'm not saying your reply isn't valid though.

Thomas,

Valvoline isn't a "joke", but when you can get superior oils for the same price (or even less), the product isn't worth spending your money on.

In terms of performance/protection in this application in the conditions you use it in, and using a mineral oil, I'd pick an HDEO 15w-40 before I'd choose VR1 20w-50. Higher flow rates, but with the anti-wear additives and HT/HS numbers you need.

Remember to also use a good, top quality high-flowing oil filter.

BTW, here a month or so ago, I started my Chevy pickup at 0F with NO STARTUP NOISE...and I'm using Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40. Sure, cranking speed was slow, and obviously the oil was very thick, but if you were only starting up "stone-cold" once a day at these ice races, a top quality HDEO 15w-40 could give you a year-round oil that, at least in my opinion, will offer you better wear protection at a lower price, as well as keeping your engine clean and in top form.

Where would a good place to pick up the HDEO oil? How readily available is it?

Also with the max life I get no noise as well on an engine that is very well known for having lifter tick when it gets older, and I'm well beyond that at around 180k.

[ February 19, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Thomas Pyrek ]

Jelly,

I don't sell ANY oils, adds, or products besides oil analysis interpretation. I don't see how telling folks what I see work is marketing.

I also support this site with real $$ and buy products from those who do the same. And heck I still tell it like I see it.

Just cause I write about it doesn't mean I sell it.

Heck I do proprietary testing for competing products that support this site.

Unbiased testing, Dyson Analysis....now thats pushing my product !!!
patriot.gif
canada.gif

Terry

[ February 19, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Tom, click on site supporters page under oil analysis, Dyson Analysis.

More marketing.

Thanks

Terry,

I don't have a problem with it...I 100% agree with you.

I'm just letting you know why some people get turned off by this site and tell people on other sites why they don't like this one...

Obviously, not everyone thinks the same or agrees on everything...you see nothing wrong while others think this is just one big place to sell your "boutique" product...

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Pyrek:
Where would a good place to pick up the HDEO oil? How readily available is it?

Also with the max life I get no noise as well on an engine that is very well known for having lifter tick when it gets older, and I'm well beyond that at around 180k.

You can pick up a top-quality HDEO at Walmart for $6/gallon...I'd choose either Delvac 1300 or Delo 400. You can pick them up at truck-stops and automotive stores as well, but Wal-Mart alwyays has them at the low prices and, unlike many places, seem to always have new stock on the shelf (at least at SuperCenter Walmarts).

Max-Life may be isolating lifter-ticking issues somehow, but by no means is it actually protecting nearly as well in racing conditions in comparison to either VR-1 20w-50 or an HDEO 15w-40.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

others think this is just one big place to sell your "boutique" product...

Wow, I gotta catch up...I thought a boutique product was something like bell bottoms or tie dye shirts...gotta get out more...
wink.gif

well, I wouldn't call ice racing hardcore racing. I'd be more prone to calling it engine revving since I don't race with studs.

Is there something wrong with using the 10w-30 delvac in the normal cars, or is it less/not suitable for gasoline engines? Why is diesel motor oil a better oil choice over the normal automotive oils?

Hi Sports FANS!
grin.gif

I like to speak with data and facts and I'm in the process of paying for VOA's (of course using a sponsor of this BB's, Blackstone)on Vavoline VR-1 20W-50, Obsolete Kendall GT-1 20W-50 and Brad-Penn 20W-50 blend. Look for this in the VOA area of this BB soon. My gift to you!
cheers.gif
My race oil, for the last 15 years was Kendall GT-1 20W-50. When it became suddenly obsolete and extinct last year, I swapped to Vavoline, solely based on what I read a learned here on this BB as well as local availability. This BB has very, very little race interest or knowledge or participation on oil. That was disappointing to me, but I'm over that and attempting to learn as much as possible and relate it to racing the best I can. Perhaps this would be better if there was a specific "AREA" for racing as opposed to in the Auto area???? Who do I need to give the magic handshake to???
wink.gif

FYI VR-1 20W-50 is $2.30 in my area, at Auto Zone. I also will look for Terry to help me interpret the data from a UOA on my old Kendall GT-1 and VR-1. Terry is the expert and is a racer so I can't wait for the results...

As inexpensive as the VOA and UOA testing is, I just do not understand why anyone that is concerned doesn't just pay for the testing and read the data.
confused.gif
Perhaps someone else can post a sample of the Penzoil and Mobil 1 M1 race oil to this BB's VOA area. More data is a good thing friends!!!!!
fruit.gif

[ February 20, 2004, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: quick_16 ]

Terry, if the Schaeffers is such a good alternative to the poster's question, then why the LC recommendation? What does the LC do that the Schaeffers can't do alone?

Due to the low price of the delvac 1300, I dedided to pick up some of that for now. IMO, the weather is still too inconsistant to run the 20w-50 so I kinda needed something anyway.

One question though, is there anyplace to pick up the delvac or delo in 10w30 for the cold winters? Or would I be forced to switch to something different like the Rotella T in 5w-40 at twice the price?

A race message board would be very, very cool and nice to have. It's even amazing how many "performance" orientated sites don't have a dedicated road race/autocross section. But seeing as racers are pushing things to an extreme beyond the stress of daily driving it would be great to have an organized place where we can discuss our needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back