A few problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 4cyl automatic Sonoma with 97k miles on it. Lately the RPMs during idle have been high, going up to 1600 when 900 is normal. It does this randomly so I cant find anything to relate it to. However, if I turn the engine off then on again it idles at a normal 900.

Also, at idle (like when I go into a party store) the temp rises several tick marks on the gague (its never done this before). After a mile or two of driving, the temp returns to normal.

I took it to 2 mechanics and since the "check engine" light has never turned on, they said it is almost impossible to find the problem. Im hoping I can get a few ideas of what maybe going on with my truck. Any ideas, comments, or thoughts would be a help.

Thanks

Thermostat for your temp problem. I had a Corolla which would never get to operating temp until you stopped at a light. When you started driving again, the temp dropped. I believe that the thermostat was stuck open. When the vehicle was stopped, no air moved across the radiator so the temp rose.

Clean the MAF if you can for the other problem and see if it helps the idle surge. Cheap and it doesn't hurt it to be clean. As was said, TB cleaning can help stop stuff from sticking and it doesn't really hurt to do it every once in awhile anyway.

Sorry I can't offer more. I'm sure someone can correct me but I thought that the CEL's (MIL) was primarily for emissions issues.

quote:

Originally posted by schwartr88:
I took it to 2 mechanics and since the "check engine" light has never turned on, they said it is almost impossible to find the problem.

Gee, now there's a mechanic for ya.
rolleyes.gif

If I had to rely on a light before I fixed a problem...
pat.gif

See if any TSBs are out for your condition. That's one thing the dealer is good for. Your TPS may be electronically just fine ..but physically sticking. Usually a gummed up throttle body will seek and overshoot in corrections. Your temp could be anything. This is 97k and we don't know how you've maintained the cooling system. You have not mentioned if the fan cycling appears normal. These are things that I don't continually observe ..but when they're off ..it triggers some little voice in my head that says "Hmm ..something is "unright"" and it bugs the crap out of me until I make the connection.

I was just at autozone.com and advanceauto.com, both sites say I dont have a MAF. Obviously Im not too familiar with engines, so I guess that is one less thing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back