a few pics from Sri Lanka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a few of the many pics I took while in SL and on our way there..

The wing...during the Toronto-London leg of the flight
 -

My brother's 1984 Accord (with the front signal lamps removed for repair) with about 100k miles on it...
 -

view from top of an ancient temple we visited
 -

walking to the ancient (2000 yr old) temple itself..
 -

My Konica Minolta Dimage Z10 performed great during the trip..I took about 120 pics on standard quality 1280x960 size, and I never had to change the batteries, even with a lot of displaying on TV screens (which is hard on the batteries)

Very nice photos!

Impressive battery life indeed. The li-ion battery in my Panasonic is supposed to be good for 300+ shots, but I'm lucky if I get 100. I take my time composing the shots though...

Thanks Pete...I downsized these pics heavily to post here, which took away some of the sharpness and vividness of color of the original images; original Images with original size on my 17" Samsung LCD monitor is are amazing.
I wonder how many more pics I can take with the current batteries...(They're pretty regular AA duracells from Wally; I did take my rechargable power-ex batteries, but never had to use them)

another thing that kills batteries is tranferring the images to a PC via direct USB connection from the camera...I think I'll get a USB compatible SD card reader from Newegg soon, which should save the batteries. (I never got the AC adapter for my camera 'cause it's too costly)

Yeah digital camera battery life is geting to be quite good.. I was always happy with my canon CF digital elph batteries, byt my new Nikon D70s blows them away... Its about the size of two AA batteries, but I have taken well over 500 pictures, many with flash, and it still shows full charge (though the indicator only states ful, half and empty). All the smae, when using ood battery chemistries and charging them right, they can give a lot of pics!

Thanks for the shot of Sri Lanka! very nice pictures!

JMH

Enjoyed the pictures, must have been quite an enjoyable trip.

Sorry to be such a dope but how does the card reader work with all the various camera memory cards?

Some readers are multi-card readers which means they have several slots to accept various card types. Others, like the one I posted, only support one type, for example SD/MMC.

Crucial has one which supports 12 types, according to them, and it's about $20.00...I think that's a bit overkill, though.

Wow, I didn't even realize there were 12 different types of flash cards. Since I just use one type, I didn't see a point in ordering such a multi-tasker.

The added advantage of a small card reader is that it does a double duty as a USB drive. The 4 GB flash cards are coming down in price fast.

Dang! 4GB? that's a lot of photos...I would be miserable if I lost one of those after they were full, though; same with flash drives...I'm just afraid to get big ones. I usually prefer dedicated flash drives and card readers, I think. so far wifey and I've been using 512MB flash drives only..I might step up to a 1 GB though, when college starts.
I wish card readers weren't built so flimsy, but Pete's Crucial one looks well put together.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Yeah digital camera battery life is geting to be quite good.. ...

I have the Nikon D50. The reason for the incredible battery life is a digital SLR does not have a digital preview of photo's before the shot is taken in the view finder or on the back screen. You look in viewfinder and see the actual photo through lens whichis much better.

The only use of preview screen if on is a quick few second image on the back after taking the photo as you know limiting the battery consumption.

I get about 500 shots too with my Nikon D50. I regret buying the 2nd battery as I never expected the shot life and the first one charges so quickly.

I've had my Casio 7.1MP camera for less then a year, and I like it very much. The only thing I can't figure out is what it takes to easily put the date information on the print. I don't know of any online printer that supports DPOF, and it is quite tedious to imprint the date manually. The quality of the new image may deteriorate too.
Does any consumer camera have an ability to superimpose date/time information on the resulting image?
97tbird, how did you do that?
Great picks BTW!

my Konica Minolta Diamge has a sub-menu called "set up" (I think) and there you easily have the item "date imprint on/off". one push of a button...

www.imaging-resource.com has a good database of cameras, with extensive explanantions of menus for each model. Try to find your camera in their data base and look at the info there...they might have it. I use that site when I want to figure out settings in my camera; I use it more than I use the manual for my camera, it's really easy find stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back