a Famous P0420 Code

Hi there; Yes I hate it, and it popped up tonight on our '16 CRV

IMG_3482.jpeg

nothing on the car has been changed/replaced to this day; currently at $93K

what's your take what it could be wrong !??

I told my wife ill be driving it from now on 'till I figure something and investigate all possibilities

needless to say the car was just registered for next 12 months

I thank you for your input!

Don't sweat it if you don't live in an emissions check area. It won't affect how the car runs. You can either replace the cat or do a spacer if you're the DIY type.

My Accord has been throwing it off and on for several years now and I just can't be bothered to deal with it.

Of course, the right thing to do is replace the cat (Standard disclaimer).

Well the classic P0420 means the converter is toast. But there's also a few other causes like bad oxygen sensors, air/fuel sensor, exhaust leak or other air leak, or misfires. I wouldn't wait too long, doesn't matter if the converter is really toast but if it's something else, you might be able to save it before it becomes toast. If they really toast up, the converter can get clogged and then it doesn't even drive. It's pretty low mileage for the converter to go though, probably something else did it in. Looks like it's about $300 for one on rockauto.

While you're past the 80k warranty, maybe Honda might goodwill it, though it isn't likely, but you could always ask :unsure:

You will have to replace the cat, and you should replace the oxygen sensors along with it.

And of course, if you live in a non-emissions county, you don't even have to worry at all :sneaky:

I think you mean Infamous? Honda & Toyota notoriously have low setting criteria for Catalyst Efficiency DTC's
This was my experience even on a '98 CRV

OP, if you do a non-fouler, don't do just one. Stack at least 2 together, and I'd even consider 3 if there's room.

What's frustrating about this code is that the engine runs just fine.

You next assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to figure put the most cost effective ways to play the "Smog Check" game.

What's frustrating about this code is that the engine runs just fine.

You next assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to figure put the most cost effective ways to play the "Smog Check" game.
Depending on where in GA he is, he might not have to deal with it. It's usually just Metro Atl that has any kind of testing as I recall.

There it is:

Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding or Rockdale County.

Those are the only counties that test in GA.

Diagnose as suggested for other possible reasons then do the spacer trick. The code sets at a low 10% so there is plenty of life left in the converter.

On my 2007 accord with the 2.4 that code came up around 120000 miles... I changed the o2 sensor with a OEM one and the code went away...never came back up to 389000 miles when I traded the car in...I will just say get the OEM senor and not a cheap one...dont be cheap on this..

Thank you people

IMO the code is on due to several reasons; my wife’s not so great driving skills, engine is DI, it burns some oil from the day one 1-2qt every 5K, I used lower quality oils in past 20k, was trying to switch away from M1 oils, spark plugs are original, pvc is original, and last time I tank gas at Chevron pump;

All of these actions combined together affected the infamous code to pop up; I went to CRV club forum and there is the same issue with one 15 CRV pretty same situation newer model with about 95k on it;

My plan is to take it to highway ride to burn out all chevron gas, change iil with M1 as soon as possible, use few times those injector cleaner and use some premium gas too

Also I was wondering if it is a bank one after the threshold which catalic is that ?

And yea I’m living in emission restricticted county however we are good for 1 year, just registered in May

Get it good and hot and give it a hard Italian tune up. Reset the code, replace the O2 sensors if you are feeling frisky, and see what happens.
That’s my plan to do it in coming days/weeks; I’ll try with changing spark plugs, oil, gas and start from there; I took the car and I’ll be driving it for time being

We’re are good for now, 1 year registered

93K with a possible cat replacement? Sounds more like a symptom and not a cause.
My only gripe that doesn’t support that thesis is it is burning some oil thru COI about 1-2 qts but I’m on the same page

That’s the same issue, however the tread stops as incomplete, so one doesn’t know what happened to his CRV

That’s my plan to do it in coming days/weeks; I’ll try with changing spark plugs, oil, gas and start from there; I took the car and I’ll be driving it for time being

We’re are good for now, 1 year registered
And try changing the O2 sensors as mentioned, probably coated from the oil.

I got that from 2011 - 2020 on my 07 Acura MDX. I learned after a week it would got out and return a year later and repeat. Wait a little see what transpires.

Back