A different dinosaur for sale!

Forget that. Look at the rest of their inventory! :oops: Not your average used car lot.

Looks like some rust through in one of the fender liners on the Caprice, like to see the underbody. I'd drive her.

I paid 5,000 for my 1985 Olds 88 2 door with 47,000 miles on it and a blown trany back in 1992, then I paid $1,000 for a new trany installed with a cooler, and drove it to 160,000.

That wagon still has some miles left on it if the frame is not rusted, and they did drive like a dream for someone with back problems, but a 7 to 9 MPG vehicle that old is not worth more than $5,000 even if everything works and it runs well. Also that is an age that parts are getting very hard to find, especially after the big gas guzzler buy-back and destroy campaign.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
That thing is a behemoth. My grandmother still drives a 199(6)? Caprice station wagon. We have been riding around in that thing since middle school!

I paid 5,000 for my 1985 Olds 88 2 door with 47,000 miles on it and a blown trany back in 1992, then I paid $1,000 for a new trany installed with a cooler, and drove it to 160,000.

That wagon still has some miles left on it if the frame is not rusted, and they did drive like a dream for someone with back problems, but a 7 to 9 MPG vehicle that old is not worth more than $5,000 even if everything works and it runs well. Also that is an age that parts are getting very hard to find, especially after the big gas guzzler buy-back and destroy campaign.
That thing must get better mileage than 7-9, unless the 305 is totally overmatched. I drove a 1987 Caprice with the police package for a few years and got 20 or so on the highway--about the same or better than the slant-six Duster it replaced, and the Caprice had air and cruise control. The Chevy had a carbureted 350, 700R4, and 3.08 rear. It got around 15 mpg dolly-towing a Nova cross-country in 3rd gear. (The Nova, on the other hand, averaged 10.5 going the other direction with 4.10 gears and a 400 Pontiac.)

Going back through the timeline of the Caprice, I was reminded how long it took GM to redesign and slim down this platform. It was a huge vehicle for quite some time after Ford and Chrysler had reduced the size of some of their wagons. The Chrysler K wagons come to mind.

7-9mpg I don't think so. I just sold my 83 after owning it for over 10 years. Bought with 160k sold with 240k. The current owner is fixing it up but decided to throw it on the road even for the winter because he found out quickly that it used about half the gas that his 2002 GMC 1500 HD with the 6.0 does. That truck gets 7-9mpg.

And that's the downsized version! 😲
That was my first thought. I remember when these came out, in late '76 for the '77 model year. They looked so small and agile compared to the previous generation ('71 - '76). If I recall correctly, the new 305 replaced the 350 as the base V8.

Ford didn't downsize their full-sizers until the '81 model year, and I think Chrysler continued on with the whale or fuselage body style through the 1978 models.

This was a good platform, and GM used it through the '89 model year.

This brings back a bad memory. I had a company car almost just like this one, '88 or '89 Caprice Classic wagon. I was driving on the interstate one day and it decided to accelerate. With the cruise control on it went from 65 to almost 90 while I wasn't exactly paying attention. Scared the heck out of me, luckily traffic wasn't heavy. With a bit of a struggle I was able to get it off the road. Pulled the air filter off and checked the carb linkage and it seemed to be ok and nothing jammed around the accelerator pedal I restarted it and rpms just keep increasing until I turned it off. I waited about 10 minutes and restarted and everything was normal.

Took it to a Chevy dealer the next day and of course they could not find anything wrong. It had about 90K on the clock when it happened. Talked to the national 3rd party fleet management office that my company used and was told to keep driving but not to use the cruise control and I would be fine. They would order me a new vehicle and about 4 months later I got my first Dodge van, we had been using Chevy wagons for at least 15 years. My company had over 200 cars just like this across the nation and I am the only one I know of that this happened to.

What really bothered me was when I turned the Chevy in at the Dodge dealership, I told the guy who was inspecting it about the acceleration problem and he did not even write it down.

• Wow
Reactions: 4WD
This brings back a bad memory. I had a company car almost just like this one, '88 or '89 Caprice Classic wagon. I was driving on the interstate one day and it decided to accelerate. With the cruise control on it went from 65 to almost 90 while I wasn't exactly paying attention. Scared the heck out of me, luckily traffic wasn't heavy. With a bit of a struggle I was able to get it off the road. Pulled the air filter off and checked the carb linkage and it seemed to be ok and nothing jammed around the accelerator pedal I restarted it and rpms just keep increasing until I turned it off. I waited about 10 minutes and restarted and everything was normal.

Took it to a Chevy dealer the next day and of course they could not find anything wrong. It had about 90K on the clock when it happened. Talked to the national 3rd party fleet management office that my company used and was told to keep driving but not to use the cruise control and I would be fine. They would order me a new vehicle and about 4 months later I got my first Dodge van, we had been using Chevy wagons for at least 15 years. My company had over 200 cars just like this across the nation and I am the only one I know of that this happened to.

What really bothered me was when I turned the Chevy in at the Dodge dealership, I told the guy who was inspecting it about the acceleration problem and he did not even write it down.
I believe this was an actual safety recall back in the day. As I kid I spent a lot of time reading consumer reports and consumer digest books on cars from 81-91.

Edit: Google found it pretty easily. It was 1987 only I believe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201207-170423.jpg
    Screenshot_20201207-170423.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 6
Back