A couple of Toyota WS Alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.amaliestore.com/proddetail.php?prod=836-92866-56

http://www.amaliestore.com/proddetail.php?prod=160-72866-56

Spec Sheet:

http://www.amalie.com/specsheets/4b_trans_cvt.pdf

Free Shipping over $40.

Now I know several people are going to say "Why not go to the dealer and get the WS....blah blah."

I guess what I'm getting at with this post is that WS must not be that special, especially for the fact that even Wal-Mart has a fluid for WS.

I'll still probably get the Toyota fluid, but it's always nice to know we're not being held hostage.

When I had a Mercedes, everyone was using the MB $20 a bottle ATF, when all it was, was ATF+4, same stuff used in sister model Chrysler transmissions. I was using $3.50 ATF+4 Advance Auto brand, and sold that car with 121k, no problems with 3 ATF Fluid changes.

That may make some of the major competitors decide to formulate "WS" specific fluids and give us more alternatives!

The thing that is unique about WS is that it is very thin. You can't have a fluid that is as thick as T-IV and as thin as WS.

You can have a fluid that works fine in both, but not the same as both.

The big reason Toyota changed from T-IV was for efficiency. You're basically throwing that away by using an all-for-one fluid.

How much will it matter in the real world, I don't know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb

The big reason Toyota changed from T-IV was for efficiency. You're basically throwing that away by using an all-for-one fluid.

What do you mean by efficiency? TI-V has worked fine for many years.

"What do you mean by efficiency? TI-V has worked fine for many years. "

In reverse order, yes TI-V still works fine today. I still use it. T-IV trannys generally aren't back specd to use WS. It was replaced to go from 100k mile intervals to "lifetime", but also the WS is much thinner.

What do I mean efficiency? Fuel efficiency. Going to a thinner ATF is pretty much the same as going to a thinner engine oil.

That's the same reason that I put little stock in this universal ATF working well. You can't just make a 5w-30 and write on the bottle that it replaces everything from 5w-20 to 10w-40. Sure it won't cause any engines to explode, but it's not optimal and certainly not as good as getting the correct viscosity.

Thanks for posting this product. It has been obvious to me since the day I drove home in our brand new 2009 RAV4 that the WS ATF wasn't going to cut it for the transaxle final drive gears. The gear whine is pretty incredible at 40-50MPH. Toyota is supposedly working on a fix, but I'm afraid it will be later rather than sooner. Their fix right now is to just replace the transmissions (rebuilt?), but continue to fill with WS.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The thing that is unique about WS is that it is very thin. You can't have a fluid that is as thick as T-IV and as thin as WS.

You can have a fluid that works fine in both, but not the same as both.

How much will it matter in the real world, I don't know.

The spec sheet says the Amalie brand is an 0w-20. Need it be thinner than that?

I agree 100% with bepperb...I realise that ATF may not be AS different as all the manufacturers would have us believe, but I simply cannot accept that it's possible to make a "one size fits all" transmission/transaxle fluid that is anything close to optimal under all those different (and contradictory) specs.

For the $4/qt extra that WS costs over any of the "universal" fluids, that's about $20/year more for a drain-and-fill...versus $2500 for a rebuild or for sub-par performance. No thanks...

Originally Posted By: montero1

That doesn't mean anything. Viscosity of 9.0@100°C is 0W-20!!

WS Is less than 5

Originally Posted By: Pablo

WS Is less than 5

The question is, need it be thinner than 0w-20...(?)

WS Is less than 5

Well, yes. Considering most ATF's are in the 6 range, and high viscosity automobile ATF might be around 7, 9 is indeed too high. It's not a kosher statement from Amalie.

WS Is less than 5

Well, yes. Considering most ATF's are in the 6 range, and high viscosity automobile ATF might be around 7, 9 is indeed too high. It's not a kosher statement from Amalie.

Inspection Data

Redline D6 :Vis @ 100°C, cst 6.40
Amalie : Vis @ 100°C, cst 6.50

Folks tend to accuse AMSOIL of saying their fluid will work for any spec. However, Amalie is the one that does this to the tilt. They say the same fluid can be used for CVTs, Ford Type F, Z1, WS, T-IV, & Dexron VI as well. Fat chance.

WS Is less than 5

Inspection Data

Redline D6 :Vis @ 100°C, cst 6.40
Amalie : Vis @ 100°C, cst 6.50

So why the [censored] do they say 0W-20????? The statement is stupid and not kosher.

I remember seeing the viscosity of Toyota WS @ 5.4/5.5 and some even claim some samples have shown around 6.0??

Last edited:
Toyota WS VOA 100degrees CST

Toyota T-IV VOA 100 Degrees CST

Those are not the same thing. Can you just sell something with a CST of 6~ish and have it work in both? Probably. Is that really the best thing to do? Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back