A couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great site we have here! I'm glad to see there are others who find this stuff as interesting as I do. A couple of questions please. For those who have had their oil analyzed, under normal driving conditions, what kind of oil life do you see for conventional and for Synthetic? I'm guessing 3k for Dino and 5-6k for the Syn? Also, is there a Dino oil that typically tests out a little bit better then the others? I know the debate can go on forever about Synthetics (I usually run M1 or Castro because they are easy to get), but I was curious how the tests showed on the reg. blends. Thanks~
patriot.gif

Many questions. I will try to answer them. A good dino oil can last up to 5,000 miles with a good oil filter. With synthetic oil, running up to 10,000 miles is not uncommon depending on the oil. Mobil 1 will defer to your owners manual, typically 6 months/7,500 miles. Amsoil says 12 months/25,000 for normally aspirated engines with an Amsoil SDF filter change at 6 months/12,500 miles.

Mobil 1 is on the thinner side, Amsoil is on the thicker side of a 30 weight oil. Mobil 1 is probaly the best mass market synthetic oil for price and performance.

The best choices for dino oils are Pennzoil PureBase, Chevron Supreme/New Havoline (ChevronTexaco product not Petrolon old stuff), and Castrol GTX.

Castrol USA Syntec is a Group III synthetic that is inferior to Mobil 1 because of similar price and less performance. The German Castrol Syntec is another story.

Stay away from synthetic blend other than the Schaefer product advertised on the board. Better results are had with the above referenced dino oils.

I have given the basic info. Please do a search on the Used Oil Analysis and other topics for more complete details.

Totally agree with john in atl. This is what I pretty much have boiled it all down to for me. For my engines that aren't on dino, it's M1. Run the M1 on a Accord V6 to about 5500. The dino, Pennz. purebase, about 3500 to 4000. To be sure, go ahead and run some UOA. Each engine is different.

Originally posted by edvanp:
----***--- what kind of oil life do you see for conventional and for Synthetic?
Depending on engine problems. Usually 10-20K+

This also depends on your chriterion to dump.

Dependa on da branda. Other factors too, but
there are much better Dinos out there that are not found in the corner auto store-- you gotta mail order or buy those from a rep.

Also, is there a Dino oil that typically tests out a little bit better then the others?

YES.
-*-*-*-*-

I was curious how the tests showed on the reg. blends. Thanks~
patriot.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]
This board has lots of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back