A car that sat alot help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 1998 Hyundai Elantra with 39000 miles. The dealer
bought the vehicle, which shifted poorly, and then made numerous ATF flushes to help re-wet the seals, and also installed new
generators. It helped the alot, but he stated there still is a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold, but then goes away. I am looking for suggestions on an additive process to help re-condition the seals. There are no leaks, and his wife has been driving the car for about 7k miles.

GO to Napa or whomever u want and get the tranny product called Lubegard, but first go to their website and read for urself about their products and u will see why its a great tranny product IMHO. www.lubegard.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably what's in the pan HAS Lubegard or some other snake oil/ legit additive that made the car easier to sell.

I would drain and fill so you have a baseline for whatever additive you choose.

Regarding shift quality, I've had great results with Seafoam Transtune.

My process is one complete flush with new ATF and a bottle of transtune. Drive for a few thousand miles and another complete flush with new ATF only. This is my process. I like transtune because it doesn't affect seals.

Last edited:
The dealer stated he just did a few changes with new fluid, and put synthetic fluid into it. He was going to put some Lucas in when I bought it, but I asked him not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back