A/C temperature at vent...

The air coming out of the vents in my Accord felt warmer than usual. I checked the temperature of the air coming out and the driver side vent is registering at 47 degrees F on "LO" on recirculate with a fan speed of 4 out of 7. Passenger side is registering at 45 under same conditions. The temperature outside is 90 F and humidity is 50%. Does this sound normal?

If I increase fan speed the vent temp goes up, I assume that is normal since a higher volume of air is passing through.

Originally Posted by gregk24
The air coming out of the vents in my Accord felt warmer than usual. I checked the temperature of the air coming out and the driver side vent is registering at 47 degrees F on "LO" on recirculate with a fan speed of 4 out of 7. Passenger side is registering at 45 under same conditions. The temperature outside is 90 F and humidity is 50%. Does this sound normal?

If I increase fan speed the vent temp goes up, I assume that is normal since a higher volume of air is passing through.

Sounds like it is doing OK .

Originally Posted by gregk24

Wanna measure at the vent closest to the evaporator, fan set on low+ (2), all windows open, outside temp taken near condenser. By way of comparison, my center vent temp was 36.7 and near condenser it was 90. Brrrr

Sounds ok, is this at idle or driving? A/C performance will likely be better as you're going down the road.

That sounds a bit on the warm. A sticking blend door can cause issues not related to the AC itself. That would be something I'd check before connecting my manifold gauges.

If those are idle numbers at a stop, that's pretty good. A 40-45 degree drop from ambient is considered acceptable by most manufacturers, so you're right there.

Your Accord likely has an evaporator temperature sensor that tells the climate control when the core gets too cold to prevent freezing. My '03 Marauder had one, and while cruising it wouldn't let the AC get colder than about 38* at the center vents while cruising in 90 degree temps. Plenty cold, but you could watch the thermometer hit 38, then rise to 41-42, then back down to 38 over and over. My '99 Corolla didn't have a sensor, and the lowest I measured at the center vents on a 90 degree day was 31 degrees before it cut off (I'm assuming from the low pressure switch cutting out due to the low temp).

My previous Accord from that era seemed like the AC was never cold enough even though the system was operating like it should. That's just the way it is.

My 9th gen V6 is a little better but still not what I would consider fantastic

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Sounds ok, is this at idle or driving? A/C performance will likely be better as you're going down the road.

Those temps were taken at idle. I'll drive it tomorrow morning and try to measure the temp when at speed.

Back