A/C System Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple months ago, I bought a hopper for around town and back and forth to work. It has a few issues, but the price was right. One of the issues, is the A/C system is shot. I thought I would get lucky and tried a can of refrigerant to see if it would hold, and it did, for about 10 seconds, and then it all leaked out the compressor, no bueno. So I've been doing a little research on rebuild kits and have found them to be much more reasonable off the big auction site than any parts store in town. I'm leery at best of this, so I thought I would throw it out to see if anyone else has any experience in purchasing a rebuild kit (with a new compressor, not a reman) and what they thought of it? Most of the kits I looked at had a 1 or 2 year warranty that accompanied them

Go to the junk yard and just start pulling most will give you a warranty so if it doesn't work owell. Altho they are extremely sensitive to oxygen so don't let it get to bad.

Did you look at Rockauto.com? I would rather a junkyard pull than a cheap ebay reman or new part. If i was going new i would go with Rockauto, but you will pay a steep price for new.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Your in Minn. You need heat not A/C. Wait until next spring to see if your beater makes it through the winter..

This!

I'd rather recommend you do a cooling system service to make sure everythings gonna be 100% for winter.
Come next May or so, revisit the thought.

And I'd recommend a new compressor and Receiver/Drier from Rockauto.

I tried the junkyard compressor route before. Never again. It was worse then the one I removed. Sure, they gave me my money back, after I had a half day of labor on a hot day, vacuum, charge, refrigerant, etc.

Bought one of these cheap kits on ebay, and it's been blowing cold for about 4 years now. Kit came with a compressor and a dryer for about what the junkyard charged me for their junk part. I also bought a cheap condenser from rockauto.

Originally Posted By: zppeterson
I thought I would get lucky and tried a can of refrigerant to see if it would hold, and it did, for about 10 seconds, and then it all leaked out the compressor, no bueno.

Do you know for sure that it's leaking from the compressor? Refrigerant leaks are often very difficult to find. Having said that, if you can't find a leak, it probably is the compressor.

A junkyard A/C compressor may serve you well, but I wouldn't use one. Some cars were prone to compressor failure, and you will soon end up where you started.

If you don't plan on keeping your car for a long time, I would see what a cheap rebuild compressor, or clone of the OEM unit costs.

The type of car you have may help in determining the problem. I might know if your car is prone to early A/C compressor failure or not.

Its not so much the heat as it is the humidity.....

The plan is to see if it makes it through the winter and revisit the issue next spring. Just wanted to get an idea of the best route/option for my situation and see if anyone had an experience to share based on the original post.

My best guess is that's its leaking from the compressor based off the oil that was blowing out ofit after the charge I put into it. I could be wrong though? Its happened before....

The vehicle is a 1998 olds 88.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back