A/C stuck in Defrost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a serious problem. My A/C is stuck in Defrost. 2002 Ford Taurus, 200,600 miles. It blows cold, but today when I jumped in it was stuck. Anyone know how to unstick this one? I know its on the passengers side front... but where? Thanks!

Defrost is default in case of a vac leak. The most common vac problem is the fresh/recirc vac line connector in the passenger footwell. Ck to make sure it isn't knocked off.

01rangerxl

Site Donor 2021
Something is loose/disconnected in the vacuum control system. It defaults to defrost if something is amiss. When this happened on my '95 Explorer, it was a vacuum line that became disconnected from the vacuum reservoir (plastic sphere under the hood).

usually 99% of the time stuck in defrost is a vacuum leak. Start there, was any work done recently, in the underhood area, any accidents/road trash, any interior work done.. such as aftermarket stereo?

Broken vacuum line. The system is designed to default to defrost when there is a lack of vacuum. Find the vacuum manifold and trace the hard line to the firewall and there will be a break in it somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.