a/c question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my home a/c is rated at 3 tons, using the same metrics what would be the same kind of rating for my late model 4Runner a/c? It's not well insulated, has a lot of glass area and the a/c works well no matter how hot is may be outside.

I believe a car's AC is the same order as for a house, in the 2+ ton range for the reasons your list. Cars aren't well insulated and have a lot of glass.

Plus, you expect your car to cool off from sitting in the sun in 100 degree weather in a few minutes.

Try get your house at 80F down a few degrees, takes quite a while.

When I went to HVAC school years ago the instructor mentioned something like 3 or 4 ton, if I remember correctly, you want to cool the car almost instantly so makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
3 tons equals about 14 horsepower. I read that a car's a/c uses about 8 horsepower, therefore it would be about 1.7 tons.

The amount of horsepower needed depends on several factors. In the 1960s, iron 1 and 2 cylinder compressors demanded far more power than more modern designs.

A 3 ton ac unit has a 3 hp compressor, or slightly under. The rule of thumb is 1 ton = 1 hp, not sure about automotive, I would guess most cars have a 1/2 - 1 hp compressor. I realize the power loss is much higher than 1 hp when being used, I have read up to 10 hp lost with ac on in automotive. Not sure why, maybe inefficient form of power transfer to turn compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back