A/C hoses... when to change?

I have seen the typical answers on some random forums about a 10 year mark more or less, but what do the mechanics on this forum think ? If everything is working fine do you mess with them?

I have a 96 Accord and the A/C works perfectly and the lines have never been touched as well as a 2009 TSX no issues. With both vehicles the hoses at least LOOK fine.

Unless leaking, no reason to fix what is not broke.
While it's discharged replace the hoses. Also the o-rings and Schrader valves.

Which one is the Schrader ? There are 3 valves listed on RockAuto under A/C which are Expansion, A/C System Service and Heater.

I have seen the typical answers on some random forums about a 10 year mark more or less, but what do the mechanics on this forum think ? If everything is working fine do you mess with them?

I have a 96 Accord and the A/C works perfectly and the lines have never been touched as well as a 2009 TSX no issues. With both vehicles the hoses at least LOOK fine.
The A/C hoses are not a maintenance item. They are replaced when they leak.

So my stance on this is if it aint broke don't fix it. However if you are re-doing your A/C system for a compressor failure or whatever reason and dumping the money into it you might as well pay a little bit more for the peace of mind and replace the old hoses to get ahead of a possible future failure point.

So my stance on this is if it aint broke don't fix it. However if you are re-doing your A/C system for a compressor failure or whatever reason and dumping the money into it you might as well pay a little bit more for the peace of mind and replace the old hoses to get ahead of a possible future failure point.
I agree, but that's another story. In the case of the OP's 96 Accord, if he planned on keeping the car after replacing an AC compressor then yes. PM on a functioning AC system, no.

Back