A brake question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mileage is 11,000 miles. Three or four times in the last year, when car is started for the first that day the red BRAKE warning icon on the dash stays on after the engine is running. The emergency brake is not on when the engine is started, the master cylinder is full, not effected by ambient temperature. It goes off when shifted into reverse and never comes back on the rest of the day. Brakes work fine and there are no fluid leaks. What's happening? Thanks.

Last edited:
The "Brake Light" should stay on for just a couple of seconds upon every startup. However, try some simple things like bleeding the brake system and check pad thickness and possible sticking. A tiny bit of brake maintenance may be in order.

Could be a bad fluid level or park brake switch and when you put it in gear it get jarred. The next time it does it don't shift into gear, apply release the par brake, if it doesn't go out go and tap the top of the brake fluid reservoir.
It could also be a connector that shares the reverse light switch under the middle console if that where the park brake is, I have found coffee and soda in these type of connectors (non weatherpack) a few times that causes all sort of little gremlins. You need to diagnose this when its doing it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Could be a bad fluid level or park brake switch and when you put it in gear it get jarred. The next time it does it don't shift into gear, apply release the par brake, if it doesn't go out go and tap the top of the brake fluid reservoir.
It could also be a connector that shares the reverse light switch under the middle console if that where the park brake is, I have found coffee and soda in these type of connectors (non weatherpack) a few times that causes all sort of little gremlins. You need to diagnose this when its doing it.

+1 That is where I would start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back