A BMW at U-Wrench

I livede in rural USA for a while and yes, everybody knows everybody. Strange as the neighbors were further away yet you know them better than the people living next to you in the city.
Sometimes that's the best part of living in the city, not having to know your neighbors, especially the ones that will talk your ear off for a half an hour every time you see them.

yeah, sometimes I pretend I didn't see someone just because I don't have time to talk. But it wqas different back there in West-Virginia, everyone had stuff to do so didn't have the half hour chats. We were mostly on our own property anyway so not likely to meet anyone besides wildlife.

Key point is, less neighbours is probably better, especially if both are not trying to kill time...

Is this a Canadian thing? I thought I remember hearing of such places around here back in the 70's but never found one. Seems like a good business model to rent out a space with a lift by the hour, day or week for DIY'ers but I doubt you could get insurance these days for it in the U.S.
We have a place like this here in Phoenix think the dude does $15 an hour.

How cold are we talking?

Not really sure. We don't see it nearly as much on the N55 as the N63, but anything around -10 C and colder. I guess it has something to do with the variable oil pump getting stuck, which the N55 and N63 both have. It is quite common on the N63, we had three cars at the same time all getting a new engine for this reason last winter. There was a bulletin last winter telling us to call engineering every time we get a seized N55.

Not really sure. We don't see it nearly as much on the N55 as the N63, but anything around -10 C and colder. I guess it has something to do with the variable oil pump getting stuck, which the N55 and N63 both have. It is quite common on the N63, we had three cars at the same time all getting a new engine for this reason last winter. There was a bulletin last winter telling us to call engineering every time we get a seized N55.
Yikes! Thank you for your reply. Fortunately it doesn't get colder than freezing here. A bit troubling it happens at all though!

Yikes! Thank you for your reply. Fortunately it doesn't get colder than freezing here. A bit troubling it happens at all though!

Oh I know, I have an N55 car.......out of warranty. o_O
I think the best advice is to change the oil often, and get it up to full operating temp often in the winter, even if it means taking the long way home.

I ain't a lawyer, but in any country where you can sue a restaurant when YOU spill coffee on yourself and win big bucks, that probably wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on.
I know this is kind of off topic but it always grinds my gears when people refer to that case as an example of frivolous litigation. The elderly lady just wanted McDonalds to cover her out of pocket medical expenses that were a result of them knowingly serving coffee at nearly boiling point to save themselves some money even after they had hundreds of reports from people who scalded themselves.

This is a good video that breaks down that case skip to 1:00 I find the intro to be a bit annoying ()

I know this is kind of off topic but it always grinds my gears when people refer to that case as an example of frivolous litigation. The elderly lady just wanted McDonalds to cover her out of pocket medical expenses that were a result of them knowingly serving coffee at nearly boiling point to save themselves some money even after they had hundreds of reports from people who scalded themselves.

This is a good video that breaks down that case skip to 1:00 I find the intro to be a bit annoying ()

Um...I EXPECT my coffee to be nearly boiling temperatures...

"Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction. Colder water will result in flat, under-extracted coffee, while water that is too hot will also cause a loss of quality in the taste of the coffee. "

Um...I EXPECT my coffee to be nearly boiling temperatures...

"Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction. Colder water will result in flat, under-extracted coffee, while water that is too hot will also cause a loss of quality in the taste of the coffee. "

Once brewed should it stay at those temperatures indefinitely? What would be the optimum "drinking" temperature?

Hundreds of reports by people who are morons perhaps.

It is coffee, and coffee is hot. Hotter than a Big Mac. Anyone who wishes to twist this around and blame McDonalds is seriously clueless.

Once brewed should it stay at those temperatures indefinitely? What would be the optimum "drinking" temperature?
That's up to the individual. I guarantee you that if McDonalds allowed the coffee to cool down they would get complaints the coffee is cold, just as they did after the incident.

When I was in college we had a coffee machine that put out what was nearly boiling hot coffee. I used to see one guy who would take the cup out of the machine and immediately drink it. I was amazed, I had to let mine cool off for quite a while before drinking. But never did I even contemplate making a complaint to the coffee company because their coffee was too hot.

I personally pour my first cup nearly the second the brewing cycle is complete, and drink it instantly. I also pre-warm my cup with boiling water and drink it black with nothing to cool it down. Unless I am using my very well insulated cup, I rarely finish a cup, as it gets too cold for my preference too quickly.

Back