A bit of an oil-change 'score' for the Soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due for an oil change on the Soul, and with winter here couldn't really do it myself.

Had resigned myself to getting my work to do a basic oil change for $40; but it would use and Fram clone (motomaster) filter and GTX...wasn't sure I wanted to run that for the rest of the winter.

Stopped in at a WM on the way to my work just to see what I could find, and I found a deal: 4.4L jug of Castrol Edge black bottle 5W-20 on clearance for $15! Stopped in at a Kia dealership for an OEM filter, and had my work do the change...about $40 when all added up. Not bad, considering a synthetic change is $50-60 at most places.

This is the first time I've used 5W-20 in it since I bought it, as these engines seem hard on oil, so I've been using 5W-30 and 10W-30. So far engine seems nice and quiet and smooth on it; we will see how it does for consumption and noise as the winter goes on. At least I know it will 'comfortably' do 10k until about next May.

That is basically the same motor Hyundai used for 10 years (the Beta II), it is not hard on oil at all.
I had that same motor in my '04 Elantra and I used multiple oils in it with no problems at all, several with 10k OCI.

I saw a bottle of the black bottle Edge (I think 5w-30?) at my Walmart in the clearance section, but no price on it (and don't need it unless it is $6 or less, which I doubt).

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The title made the thread seem a bit more deep..

Yeah, I was thinking like "Chicken Soup for the Soul".

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Due for an oil change on the Soul, and with winter here couldn't really do it myself.

Had resigned myself to getting my work to do a basic oil change for $40; but it would use and Fram clone (motomaster) filter and GTX...wasn't sure I wanted to run that for the rest of the winter.

Stopped in at a WM on the way to my work just to see what I could find, and I found a deal: 4.4L jug of Castrol Edge black bottle 5W-20 on clearance for $15! Stopped in at a Kia dealership for an OEM filter, and had my work do the change...about $40 when all added up. Not bad, considering a synthetic change is $50-60 at most places.

This is the first time I've used 5W-20 in it since I bought it, as these engines seem hard on oil, so I've been using 5W-30 and 10W-30. So far engine seems nice and quiet and smooth on it; we will see how it does for consumption and noise as the winter goes on. At least I know it will 'comfortably' do 10k until about next May.

Let see the new math says that's $15 for the oil and $25 for the filter equals $40?

$17 for the oil.
$7 for the filter.
$15 to change it...have to pay for labour when you can't do it.
Totals $39. Still a good deal.

$17 for the oil.
$7 for the filter.
$15 to change it...have to pay for labour when you can't do it.
Totals $39. Still a good deal.

LOL and your how old?

What does that have to do with this? What are you implying?

I have to have my work do it, as I live in a condo and can't do it there, and don't really have another place to do it.

At least I can use 'you're' properly!

You're how well educated?

Black bottle Edge is a great oil. A huge chunk of boron plus moly and a bit of titanium.

I went to school ages ago, learned the old math, changed to the new math, and had to go back to the old math. In the end I am of a generation that became poor in math. However, 7+17+15=39 as you stated. I’m not sure where the confusion lies?

The fact that he highlighted me having to have the oil change done for me implied that I wasn't capable of doing the OC, which I am.

The fact that he highlighted me having to have the oil change done for me implied that I wasn't capable of doing the OC, which I am.

I totally understand. In my case I’m in my 60’s and my car is coming up for its first oil change. With the weather in the twenties and my strength not the same it was even ten years ago, I plan to buy my own oil and have the dealer do it. Not all of us have either the time or the facilities to do it. If it were summertime, I might ponder it.

Either case, your Kia will run very well on that black bottle Castrol Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back