A better way to park!??

Hi BITOG

I was always perplexed by the way people are parking and leaving their cars over the night; case in point, on the steep incline on their driveway

I was wondering what an issue car may develop down the road by parking it this way, let’s say in about 5-6 years, and is there a right way how to do it (maybe in opposite direction) in these instances or should I say a better way to park your car on the driveway if such thing exists at all in these situations!??

30E71604-6432-489A-AE78-1CE840A3D190.jpeg

704FD3AB-808E-4ACF-894E-D31080D7A791.jpeg

Parking brake on before engaging park a necessity in this case.

I don't think the design of the first driveway i have ever seen in the Northeast; generally a flat driveway would have been built with a retaining wall to the left.
Not sure if I have seen it that way either. But in my former home in the northeast, there were driveways with a down slope to a garage opening that was mostly underground. Often enough I've seen cars parked on a slant that was even more extreme than the ones in the OP's pictures. A construction guy used to park a smaller dump truck on one of the slopes.

In an automatic,I always engage the parking brake while it's still in gear, then shift to park. Nothing worse than hearing someone shift from park to drive and hearing that loud "CLUNK".
i've always got the notion from somewhere, the cars parked on this like steep driveways sooner or later develop some kind of transmission issues while their engines gets deprived of oil or overfilled when its needed the most, morning warm-ups; and that's not so great created conditions for engines in a long run imo

i've always got the notion from somewhere, the cars parked on this like steep driveways sooner or later develop some kind of transmission issues while their engines gets deprived of oil or overfilled when its needed the most, morning warm-ups; and that's not so great created conditions for engines in a long run imo
Haha me too!!

The real question is why do people stockpile stuff in the garage and park their vehicles outside instead?
The answer to this might be the same as the answer to why there is not retaining walls on the sides of those driveways.
It depends on whether you have a basement or not.
Most new developments leave out the basements due to the additional cost.
Also down here in FL, there are no basements because the water table is like 4 feet underground. So anyone moving from up north stores their stuff in the garage or an outside building.

The real question is why do people stockpile stuff in the garage and park their vehicles outside instead?
I agree. I would love to have a garage. I've never had one. I would store stuff in an extra bedroom so I could park in my garage before I would use my garage as a storage bin.

oh boy, in the south building the house from start to finish it takes about 3mnts

I agree. I would love to have a garage. I've never had one. I would store stuff in an extra bedroom so I could park in my garage before I would use my garage as a storage bin.
My neighbor does just that. 2 motorcycles in a spare bedroom (1 is a Wizzer) An all aluminum (unpainted) bicycle from the 20's in the living room, and runs a business out of his garage, which still has room for his MG and an old 2 cycle Harley!
The KIA stays outside!

Interesting notion.

I have a sloped driveway, and none of those issues have occurred. None. Of course, the Volvo that gets parked that way only has 265,000 miles on it, so, perhaps in the long run, some issues will pop up.

But I'm nowhere near the long run yet, so, I'm really not worried.

The driveway is sloped here because I'm very close to the water, and the house, and garage, need to be at a certain level above Mean High Water. That requires a five foot incline from the street. It can't be done any other way since the setback is limited, and the garage must be at that height. Naturally, no basement due to a very high water table.

I'm smart enough to check the oil when the car is level, not when it's in the driveway. I don't think anyone is really dumb enough to think that an oil level check on a steep slope is accurate. I, like others, use the parking brake. Funny how the manufacturers install one, recommend its use in the owner's manual, and then people fail to use them. The parking brake is set every time in my driveway.

Answer to that would be how many in the family drive. Years ago when I was working, my car plus my MGB were in the garage. Wife's car and both kids cars were in the driveway.

Interesting notion.

I have a sloped driveway, and none of those issues have occurred. None. Of course, the Volvo that gets parked that way only has 265,000 miles on it, so, perhaps in the long run, some issues will pop up.

But I'm nowhere near the long run yet, so, I'm really not worried.

The driveway is sloped here because I'm very close to the water, and the house, and garage, need to be at a certain level above Mean High Water. That requires a five foot incline from the street. It can't be done any other way since the setback is limited, and the garage must be at that height. Naturally, no basement due to a very high water table.

I'm smart enough to check the oil when the car is level, not when it's in the driveway. I don't think anyone is really dumb enough to think that an oil level check on a steep slope is accurate. I, like others, use the parking brake. Funny how the manufacturers install one, recommend its use in the owner's manual, and then people fail to use them. The parking brake is set every time in my driveway.
That’s the solution to this possible problem; my post was about an average Joe out there and how they treat their cars; the extreme slope parking just adds oil to the fire 😄

Back